Polaris MSX 140 ?

I saw this ad this morning on my local classified, Is this a good price for this 2004, and the companion 1995 seadoo xp 720? The msx 140 has 45 hours. The seadoo XP doesn't list the hours but they are both in mint condition, they are being sold together? All you smart Polaris junkies tell me it this is a good price/set?

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...8&lpid=&search=

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Well, it all depends on the actual current condition of each watercraft, and how well they have been maintained. That blue MSX _may_ be a 2003, so check the last 2 digits of the HIN number plate.

Polaris issued a few important service bulletins for MSXO 140, especially the 2003 version. You can check for outstanding service bulletins by calling Polaris with the HIN number.

Check my signature links for things to look for in general when buying a PWC, and some common service issues with the MSX 140.

Thank you for the critital eye that gave me the knowledge to ask the question about what year it actually is! The machine is stunningly beautiful, in showroom condition, as also is the 1995 seadoo. But upon inspecting the HIN# this particular msx 140 is a 2003 and not a 2004! The seller seemed to have made an honest mistake, judging from our visit.

However I did tell the seller that I would do some more homework on any specific service bulletins for that model. My brother was about to plunk down the money, but this revelation gave us pause to consider more carefully and do a little more homework!

Now K447, do you have a phone# for polaris handy so that I can contact them about the specific model#? And I will continue my reading on your signature links to better arm myself. But if you or anyone else out there has another tip to send my way please take a moment and chime in! Again here is the link for the 2003 Polaris msx 140
    http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...lpid=1&search=

Thanks
    FTR0432

+1
    When talking about good maintenance practices, we are mostly NOT talking about external appearance and shiny.

More important are things like using fogging oil during storage, using good quality 2-stroke oil, keeping the cooling system clean, not running it in shallow water where sand could get pumped into the cooling system, and so on.

Now it is common for an owner to not do, or even not know about, some of this stuff. That just means you have to ask as much as you cam, check as much as you can, and then take a leap of faith regarding how well it will run for you.

It is the rare used PWC that needs _nothing_ fixed, cleaned or replaced. After purchase always budget some TIME for checking, inspecting, and possibly replacing some stuff.

Thanks again - Indeed this particular 2003 MSX 140 has been sitting in a shed for 5 years, with absolutely no use as all, in that 5 years. The hour meter actually reads 40.8 hours. I am more afraid of seals drying out from sitting than other problems being caused by heavy or severe use. I will ask more specifically about fogging, however I think they basically have just let it sit. It started right up but has not been in the water for 5 years

Over the last 6 months since I was introduced to the Green Hulk forum, during which time I have poured over tons of information attempting to find answers for my SLHX 1050 & SL 900 Polaris PWC's, and in all the reading from the forum, I have come to believe that the MSX 140 is a fantastic boat to own. Short of paying $10,000 for a new machine. My family thinks I am PWC overboard because I own 6 pwc's and baby them and read about them and ride every chance I get. So my brother came asking me what brand should he purchase? So this research is for him, and I have a more intense desire to be acurate in my recommendations, to keep my good name! That being said:

I have clicked on the signature links specific for the MSX 140, but nothing very helpful for me. Especially because I am hoping to find 2003 Polaris MSX 140 service bulletins. I am hoping to find service bulletins that might keep me (my brother) from purchasing a lemon PWC, if the 2003 had problems I want to know every one of them! You have the statement at the bottom of the msx page as if you were preparing to create a link regarding 2003, but there is no further information of 2003 service bulletins or critical updates. Did polaris work out all the bugs from 2003 to 2004 - what were the bugs?

If for example the thru hull bearing is difficult of obtain now, should I be worried about a machine that has been sitting for 5 years? or not? The seller knows very little about PWC's at all. I cannot imagine owning an msx 140 and letting it sit for 5 years? So indeed the onus is on me to research, I have read as many reviews as I can many say the 2003 msx it fantastic, other people had nothing but problems! Many things I make a leap of faith, this seems to one of those times. In the mean time I appreciate this forum! I have been given greater 'faith' in humanity from the caring people here!

+1
    Through-hull seals and bearings can be replaced with generic parts, not a problem.

Without fogging, you either pull the intake and reeds off so you can inspect the crank shaft, or you go with your feelings and buy it with just the knowledge you have from compression and general inspections.

If a Polaris dealer did the servicing then there should be a series of stickers on the side of the flame arrestor cover with the service bulletin codes that were performed.

+1

Get the HIN and get on the phone with a Polaris dealer...

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Through-hull seals and bearings can be replaced with generic parts, not a problem.

Without fogging, you either pull the intake and reeds off so you can inspect the crank shaft, or you go with your feelings and buy it with just the knowledge you have from compression and general inspections.

If a Polaris dealer did the servicing then there should be a series of stickers on the side of the flame arrestor cover with the service bulletin codes that were performed.
    The easiest way I have found for finding out if a bulletin was done to any Polaris equipment, I get on the phone to my dealer, ask for the service department, and have them run the HIN. Many time the stickers get washed off, a good cleaning program just about ensures that they won't stay in place. Polaris dealers are paid by Polaris for many of these services done under warranty, and Polaris has an excellent computer system for tracking work done to a particular unit. So start there, to put your mind at rest...

There are a few things to be aware of with an MSX 140, fuel pressure regulator, stator, Flywheel, CPS, TPS... starter solenoid, those are the main weak points I have personally witnessed in my ownership of 2 MSX140's. After that everything else is not a whole lot different from any other ski.

The EMM can be problematic, but if you stay out of the sand, keep your cooling system clean, I really don't see the EMM as a real weak spot in the MSX140. Saying that when they go down and they will, you can about suspect any one of the items listed... starting with the fuel pressure regulator falling off in the tank.

Thread Information