Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Riva Open Loop Plate/RXPX

Thinking serious about swithcing to the Riva plate. I see many of the guys talking about fitting issues with these plates. Are the guys that are grinding the plates talking about grinding the top of the boss's to align the front of the plates with the hull? And second question is are you guys shimming the plates to acheive the same alignment or to shim the rear to reduce lift, and if so how much are you guys shimming the rear. Being I am refering to the PX I would be concerned with the plate lifting the nose to high causing an overstuff of the pump. I am installing 3 JD relief valves in the shoe.

+1
    I was thinking about putting a Riva plate on mine. From what I understand some of them require a lot of fitting for them to line up flush with the hull. Not sure on shimming for lift. JP told me that with the Riva plate you need alot of pressure relief, which it looks like you have that covered.

+1
    The top surface of mine had to be ground quite a bit. Once you get the plate and get the old one off and cleaned up put the riva plate and bolt it up dry and see how it looks. It will probably be off so remove it, grind and refit dry again, you will keep this process until the plate looks smooth under the hull and nothing is hanging down. I also had to grind on my grate a bit to get it trued.

Ideally you do not want to shim. The RIVA plate handles and hooks up night and day over the stock plate. I mean it stays PLANTED in the water. Every time I ride I like it more and more.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dnielsen View Post
    Thinking serious about swithcing to the Riva plate. I see many of the guys talking about fitting issues with these plates. Are the guys that are grinding the plates talking about grinding the top of the boss's to align the front of the plates with the hull? And second question is are you guys shimming the plates to acheive the same alignment or to shim the rear to reduce lift, and if so how much are you guys shimming the rear. Being I am refering to the PX I would be concerned with the plate lifting the nose to high causing an overstuff of the pump. I am installing 3 JD relief valves in the shoe.
    On my Riva plate i had to grind not only the front bosses but had to do some grinding in the front by were the intake grate bolts in..the plate fit like shit till i ground it down to fit lush with the bottom of the ski...BUT i put an 08 plate on my 06 so i dont know if this had anything to do with it, i wouldnt have thought so but i could be wrong.As far as shimming,.020 seems to be the sweet spot with these plates...also you dont shim to create lift you shim to bring the nose down...

+1
    Thanks for the input on the plate guys. I am pretty sure I can fit the plate now with this input but was really more concerned with the added lift produced by the plate (no shims added to reduce) on the PX. As stated in my previous post I was asking how much shimming the guys were having to do on the PX to find the sweet spot so the ski doesnt porpois or have too much lift adding to the stuff factor. I know that smimming the rear will bring the nose down a bit (I shimmed my Jims Plate .030). It looks like Snowman is referencing a RXP rather than the PX as he indicated he installed the plate on an 06 model. I really want to run the plate so thanks for all the input and advice from you guys.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dnielsen View Post
    Thanks for the input on the plate guys. I am pretty sure I can fit the plate now with this input but was really more concerned with the added lift produced by the plate (no shims added to reduce) on the PX. As stated in my previous post I was asking how much shimming the guys were having to do on the PX to find the sweet spot so the ski doesnt porpois or have too much lift adding to the stuff factor. I know that smimming the rear will bring the nose down a bit (I shimmed my Jims Plate .030). It looks like Snowman is referencing a RXP rather than the PX as he indicated he installed the plate on an 06 model. I really want to run the plate so thanks for all the input and advice from you guys.
    The added lift is what gives you the speed increase and the plate is VERY stable. Take your time grinding on it and dry fitting it until its perfect before you put the sealant on it. As long as you take your time and get things level you should be fine.

You have the pressure relief already so you are good it sounds like. If you feel a bounce on flat water adjust your trim settings/rod to where the bounce is not present and let that be your max trimmed up spot.

No shims on my ski at all.

+1
    I don't run any shims in my plate. I did try it at first, but found it unnessary. The ski will not bounce, if its set up right. Shimming the plate down made my ski hook harder in a fast, tight turn. You should be okay with three PRVs.

+1
    I agree with JP. I have a Riva Rideplate with.....No shims and No Modification, The ski runs good no bouncing and good turning ratio. This plate in combination with RE's or Riva Block Offs and VTS system you will have a great setup.

+1
    Thanks guys, I know you guys have the fastest X machines on the forum so this is good proven advice. I think I'll order the plate in the morning!!! I will also be putting up some pics of the pressure relief system I came up with real soon in Breon's thread pertaining to Pump Pressure Relief (sweet little setup, easy to duplicate).

+1
    There are some pics of my plate on this page and a couple of the grinding I had to do.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...P-Build./page9

A little tip. I spread grease all over the area where the plate bolts up, that way when you push the plate it touches down on the grease and gives you an indication of the areas that need grinding.

R88

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information