Making the hull shiny again

I'm wondering if anyone has good advice on making the ski look newer. Waxing? I got mine used and i wouldnt mind putting some elbow grease in to make it look a bit newer. Im guessing theres not much I can do for the plastic parts.

Also, the side sticker.. Are they under lamination usually?

I have been told that waxing the hull reduces performance. I'm not sure if that is true but it has been enough to keep me from doing it thus far. I would keep the wax off of the plastic if at all possible because it can be hard to get off and it can leave white spots. Windex is good for taking water spots off of the plastic and safe too.

Wesley Chapel, FL. Y L Isla Del Encato PR.
    Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKawi View Post
    I have been told that waxing the hull reduces performance. I'm not sure if that is true but it has been enough to keep me from doing it thus far. I would keep the wax off of the plastic if at all possible because it can be hard to get off and it can leave white spots. Windex is good for taking water spots off of the plastic and safe too.
    hmm I doubt this. I wax my ski and it looks like glass. It definitely doesn't decrease performance. Maybe you mean the bottom of the hull but I wouldn't wasted my time on the bottom as you cannot see it .

I use Menzerna intensive polish II with a Porter Cable 7424 and ohh mama it looks like glass when done. Then finish her up with Final Polish by Menzerna. I went to a boat store and bought several things and NONE of them come close to what I listed.

+1
    What I did was get out the high speed buffer with a 3M rubbing compound. Do NOT use the foam pad. Use the WOOL pad as it will cut through the gelcoat and into the gelcoat. Keep it moving and don't focus on one area or let the buffer stay on one area. You will burn it. It will come out like glass. Then get a foam pad and a POLISHING compound and polish the hull. When you are done with that, get a really good marine wax. I like Meguiars (sp). Apply (wax on) with white pad terry applicator and let dry then wipe off (wax off) with a clean terry cloth. Then once done take another clean terry cloth and lightly go over it again to get the excess off. You will be able to see your soul in the reflection. Oh, do this OUT OF THE SUN. It makes for the best results.

Quote Originally Posted by TundraLu View Post
    Maybe you mean the bottom of the hull but I wouldn't wasted my time on the bottom as you cannot see it .
    Yeah, I meant the bottom. Not sure if it's true or not but I remember reading a post about it a while ago.

Turtle wax makes "ice" polish in a paste....you can use it on black trim also, I use it on my car and the trim, comes off and leaves the black nice. I did the ski with it, comes out nice and smooth. let me know how it goes.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by audis4boss View Post
    Turtle wax makes "ice" polish in a paste....you can use it on black trim also, I use it on my car and the trim, comes off and leaves the black nice. I did the ski with it, comes out nice and smooth. let me know how it goes.
    +1 on the Ice, shit works good!!!!

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    if it is really bad you can wet sand it with 800 the 1000 then 1200 1500 ect then buff..like paint ..you need to remove the top layer of gel coat..that is oxidised...dont stress or worry so much it ..is much thicker than paint..and you dont have to worry about buning through the clear coat because there isnt any ...as you do on a car...not to say you cant but you would have to be pretty careless.about it to do so..

as for the stickers take a heat gun and heat them a little they will peal off..most leave them ..you could get new ones from seadoo ..or have a graphics place cut vinel ones for you in the colors you want..

so anyone have a good plan for using the buffer inside the foot wells ive been haveing a hella good time with that cant seem to get down in there

Thread Information