It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar

Any way to datalog oil pressure using the Vipec/Motec?

Hey guys. I finally bit the bullet and put an AFR gauge on my ski....and I love it. Never too much information about what is happening inside your motor right?

That being said, I'd like to datalog my oil pressure....but still be able to use a dial gauge for quick reference while riding the ski.

Is there a gauge you guys can recommend that will electronically transduce the oil pressure for datalogging with the VIPEC and still allow you to see it in real time as an added gauge on the ski while riding?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nTear SHO View Post
    Hey guys. I finally bit the bullet and put an AFR gauge on my ski....and I love it. Never too much information about what is happening inside your motor right?

That being said, I'd like to datalog my oil pressure....but still be able to use a dial gauge for quick reference while riding the ski.

Is there a gauge you guys can recommend that will electronically transduce the oil pressure for datalogging with the VIPEC and still allow you to see it in real time as an added gauge on the ski while riding?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks.
    Maybe a data log dash would be the way to go Rip?

My 2 cents for the jar...

Motec dash has oil pressure capability I'm sure....hmmmmm.....where does the transducer go? Do you have 1 functioning on one of your skis?

Hi Rip’nTear SHO,

I think the standard Yamaha oil pressure sensor is simply an on / off switch … either you have oil pressure or you don’t so it can’t be used to provide a read out for data logging or a dial gauge.

I had a new oil pressure sensor (think it’s a Honeywell 250 psi) fitted and am able to data log the results. As I have the MoTeC dash I can see the oil pressure when riding but am sure that it can be connected to a dial gauge - (also have a low pressure warning light).
    Check with MoTeC Pete for more details as he sourced and fitted it for me.

Cheers Ed

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Eds_FZR View Post
    Hi Rip’nTear SHO,

I think the standard Yamaha oil pressure sensor is simply an on / off switch … either you have oil pressure or you don’t so it can’t be used to provide a read out for data logging or a dial gauge.

I had a new oil pressure sensor (think it’s a Honeywell 250 psi) fitted and am able to data log the results. As I have the MoTeC dash I can see the oil pressure when riding but am sure that it can be connected to a dial gauge - (also have a low pressure warning light).

Cheers Ed
    These the answer. Ed's the man!

Quote Originally Posted by Eds_FZR View Post
    Hi Rip’nTear SHO,

Cheers Ed
    Thanks Ed......yeah...the stock Yammi is an on/off.......appreciate the post......I'm all about the longevity/endurance.....can't stand not knowing what's going on inside my motor during the pump unhooks offshore and the on/off throttling i subject my ski to during buoy course/river rides.

Damn...i think im an un-diagnosed OCD'er.....

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 AM ----------

+1.....

+1
    Hi Rip.
    You can put both gauges on
    Just run a tee piece off the oil pressure switch port.
    Wire in the electronic sender (3 wire) to the loom then configure the software to suit.
    The other simply heads off to the mechanical gauge.

Lol, you may not want to see the results.

Thread Information