Havent used my RXP for 6 months. Steering is stuck.. wont budge?

Hey,, been traveling the last 6 months. Just got home and looked at my 2005 rxp and i cant moving the steering wheel...

Can someone point me in the right directin i would greatly apprciate it.

Thanks ross

from what i understand the steering cable seizes up, mine is really stiff. The dealer told me that there was a factory replacement/upggrade to replace the small cable with a larger one which i'll be doing next service. I think the cable was about 300nz dollars so prob about half that in the states.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Atliens View Post
    Hey,, been traveling the last 6 months. Just got home and looked at my 2005 rxp and i cant moving the steering wheel...

Can someone point me in the right directin i would greatly apprciate it.

Thanks ross
    If you can't free it up with penetrating lube, then you will need a new one.

Mine seized up and I soaked it in a bag with oil over night but it was never the same so I replaced with the thicker one. Much better, but if you ride in salt water you have to lube it every time.

How did u do this? I can barely see it when i take the steering handles out. Its a think cable and it goes under the engine and then through to the back?

+1
    It's easy to lube from the pump side. Take the steering nuckle off and get a clear hose that just fits overr the housing - clamp it to the hosing with a hose clamp - add some lube to the hose use a air gun to force the oil into the shaft - have someone move the steering back and forth if and when they can - mine is perfect now. Good luck. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tchies View Post
    It's easy to lube from the pump side. Take the steering nuckle off and get a clear hose that just fits overr the housing - clamp it to the hosing with a hose clamp - add some lube to the hose use a air gun to force the oil into the shaft - have someone move the steering back and forth if and when they can - mine is perfect now. Good luck. Tim
    Thanks tim ill do that now. By oump side i take that u mean other side to the steering? Not exactly sure how to get to it, so much in the way,,,

+1
    On the pump where the steering joint is (right as look from the rear) Remove the 10mm bolt and then remove he heim joint and the lock nut. Place the tube over the end to the jacket of the cable - use a small clamp and tighen arount the jacket. Add some fluid and use air to force the lube into the steeing cable. Good Luck

TIm

buy one for a rxt there longer and you can keep them high up in the hull instead of lying on the bottom in all the liquids that collect in the bottom of the ski it will last a ton longer

front the hood of the compartment, you will see where the steering cable connects to the steering system. slide the black rubber piece up on the steering cable. (looks like a seal between where the cable slides in and out) then slide the same rubber piece back at the steering nozzle. now from the front spray wd40 or pb blaster into the part where the inside cable goes into the main steering cable.(under where the black rubber piece) slowly work the steering back and forth and keep putting the lube in there. eventually it will leak out the back. when done put rubber pieces back in. if it is really stuck, let the pb blaster sit in overnight. use the thin red pipe on the pb blaster with a rag behind it because you will need to spray quite a bit in there.

Thread Information