Paint Removal on PWC ?

I purchased a used ski from out of state. The hull ID numbers are painted on and I need to change them for my state. Anybody know of removing the paint without damaging hull paint surface?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sledheads4 View Post
    I purchased a used ski from out of state. The hull ID numbers are painted on and I need to change them for my state. Anybody know of removing the paint without damaging hull paint surface?
    Of course we do. I'd first take a razor blade and carefully cut off those painted decals and then sand smooth the rough paint edge with 220 or 320 sand paper. A sander would be good for this. Do the same for any scrapes around the deck, then finish off sanding with 600 grit sand paper and for all the edges and corners use a red scotch brite can find them at local autoparts store if needed. Prime the bad areas.......

or you could go to a local vinyl shop and have them make a printed single piece of vinyl that has all the #'s and letters you need printed on it,like one big sticker and put that over the numbers. that would be the only way i could see changing numbers without damaging the paint or re-painting. shouldnt cost much and will be much less work.

Dude, take the ski to an auto body shop, they have techniques that will take those painted numbers off and won't damage your ski. Chances are the painted numbers did not truly bond to your original paint very well. Getting them to do it right the first time will save alot of cussing and $$$$ later. At least let them take a look.

Thread Information