Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

300x Consuming Oil

Three friend and myself all bought 300x's and have been riding from Dana Point to Avalon about once a week. Each time we get back we all flush the ski's at Dana and check the oil. One of the 4 (the only red one) started really drinking oil this last trip over. It was 2.5 to 3 quarts low when we got to the island. He bought oil, filled it until it properly registered and away we went. 8 miles into our return trip the motor locked up. We towed it back to Dana, what a long day. What have people done to eliminate the oil consumption problem if there is anything that can be done.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TRON3000 View Post
    Three friend and myself all bought 300x's and have been riding from Dana Point to Avalon about once a week. Each time we get back we all flush the ski's at Dana and check the oil. One of the 4 (the only red one) started really drinking oil this last trip over. It was 2.5 to 3 quarts low when we got to the island. He bought oil, filled it until it properly registered and away we went. 8 miles into our return trip the motor locked up. We towed it back to Dana, what a long day. What have people done to eliminate the oil consumption problem if there is anything that can be done.
    If the engine take 2-3 quarts a day bring it back, there's nothing to do except rebuilt,it should smoke pretty bad

Quote Originally Posted by TRON3000 View Post
    I do have to say I find it odd that you would insert the Smiling Happy Face after the sentence, "8 miles into our return trip the motor locked up". Anyway . . . I knew that trek of water well: Its about 38 miles from DP to Avalon. I also know you can only get 89 octane in Avalon. Your 300 needs 91! If your tank was full when you left DP and you filled up at Avalon, then you put at least 12 gallons of 89 in it . . . with the boost this boat has off the showroom floor I would not put straight 89 octane in it. There are some decent octane boosters you can buy; put a few pints in the bow. As for going thru 2 to 3 qts of oil in such a short period of time, something is really wrong. . . I would take it back to the dealer B 4 I rode it again and have the situation diagnosed. It's no fun being stranded in the middle of the ocean; this points out a good reason for the "buddy system" if you ride offshore in the ocean. Sorry about the engine . . . that sucks. Hope it turns out ok. JB

John, if you knew the group of friends I ride with you would understand. We are all extremely competitive with everything. We all race off road and two of the guys race nascar west tour as well. We have all blown up our share of motors and these are minor compared to a built v-8 rebuild. Hence the use of my smiley face, it is a joke as in good work son!!!!! Anyways we do run the lucas octane booster in the boats, I just find it odd to have problems so early with these. We have ridden the Sh_t out of 2 FZRs and sea doo RXPXs as well. The RXPX's blow the intake hose off, only issue, the FZRs eat clutches and one has the R&D stage 3 kit on it. The Stage 3 one is always needing something. We bought the Kawi's after the Mark Haun race, we took 3rd overall and 2nd in Pro Am open on a stock FZR but worked twice as hard as the two Kawi's up front. We bought the Kawi's thinking they are the cats meow but I am wondering if it is too good to be true. Are they all going to be ticking time bombs?

2011 N/A champ 2011-2012 turbo champ elpeladodelsamba's Avatar
    +1
    race engine = oil drinking . more stock = more reliable no science

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by elpeladodelsamba View Post
    race engine = oil drinking . more stock = more reliable no science
    He has a stock 300X=stock, more reliable??
    Here's a question I can't answer; did Kawasaki use the same piston/ring set-up in this engine, that they have used in all of the Ultra's?? Is the 300X basically the same as an Ultra 250/260 engine, but with more boost and a different blower system??
    Why, at the Mark Hahn race, were the 300X's having to add oil during some of there pit stops?? I didn't see the Yamaha's(except Rius-who added a lot of oil, but his engine was eating itself alive from some sort of mechanical problem) or the Seadoo's adding oil........just wondering.

And no, I still have not had a chance to test ride the Ultra 300X. I have high hopes that one will arrive here soon, hopefully in May, so I can see for myself how it handles.

iflyems, thanks for actually reading my post, you are correct the 300x is bone showroom floor stock. I don't have any experience with the Kawi's but I also witnessed the ultras at the Hahn 300 all adding oil. It should not be ingesting oil, the FZR went 300 straight with nothing but gas. We had it clamped from start to finish, it was showroom stock with an R&D intake grate and ride plate and it has since made about 12 trips to the island and back. That is now the bring a friend ski, it is unbreakable. The 300x that blew was smoking a bit after fueling in Avalon but I think the damage was done already.

elpeladodelsamba, you should take time to read posts, digest info, breathe in and out five times, and then respond. I don't know who builds your motors but just because it is a race engine, it should not consume oil. We run 800HP plus motors for 1000 miles straight through dust and silt, no oil consuming unless there is a problema.

That's cool Tron . . . it sounds like you have blown a few motors "here and there" over the years in various sports. I get that; it is the price of performance and the obsession of wanting to go "faster and faster" and "quicker and quicker". I want to re emphasize my point that a DP to Avalon ride on ANY pwc is a Bluewater Ride . . . Know the weather, the available fuel requirements, and the abilities of your Skis and riding buddies . . . Blow an engine at a NASCAR event and the Forklift picks you up in 30 seconds or less. Blow an engine in the middle of the ocean on a PWC and you could be part of the food chain! Concur, Lucas Fuel Booster is one of the best (I use it too). Please let us know what is going on with the engines in your 300's; hopefull we can all learn from what happened. As I am sure you know . . . there are no "small" problems in the ocean! JB

+1
    Have you ever done a leak down test on the red ski before it blew up? Has the engine been pulled down yet? I would be curious what an oil analysis came back with.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 800AMSOIL4U View Post
    Have you ever done a leak down test on the red ski before it blew up? Has the engine been pulled down yet? I would be curious what an oil analysis came back with.
    I think we're all curious about that.

And, I'm glad you also noticed that the stock Yamaha's all needed zero oil. in fact, my trusty Seacow-2008 RXT-X uses zero oil between 50 hour oil changes. Zero!!! And, that's with 175 hours on the engine, none of it very slow. According to the buds unit, my average rpm is 7100!!!

And, John makes a very sobering point-NEVER ride in the Ocean alone, or farther away than you can see your buddy. You could end up with a long float to Hawaii.......

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information