Pump failure ate through outer edge of pump shoe into hull, how bad is this? Help!

Just finished the mock up on my GTI build, and was breaking it all back down, and realized I have a problem I have yet to address before I seal the new RXP pump shoe into place... The hull was a previous rental that had a pump failure that ate through the pump shoe, and cut into the outer diameter of the pump tunnel where it meets the rear of the hull. Below are some pics, but my concern is how bad is this? Should I attempt to repair the outside of the pump tunnel to fill in where the damage was done, or should I just reinforce that area where the tunnel meets the hull on the inside?

Anyway, below are some pics, let me know what you guys think about how bad the damage is, and is anyone has any experience with similar damage and what you did about it. My plan is currently to just re-inforce that joint from the inside of the hull, and just add some extra sealant there when I mount the shoe, since that area is covered by the pump shoe anyway. but want to get the opinion of the "group" ;) before I proceed, Thanks guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2063.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	236668   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2064.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	236669   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2066.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	236670   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2067.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	236671   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2070.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	236672   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2079.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	236673  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2080.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	236674   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2075.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	236675  

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    good news is ...it is just fiberglass you can put it back..sucks that you have to ...but good that you can

fill it in with a little tiger hair or just matt pulled apart..in some resin..mooth then and wrap in a couple layers of cloth .and gelcoat.. good as new...

Yeah... I just realized the biggest problem this causes... (See pics) The giant lip, and canyon that this creates between the pump tunnel and the shoe. So yeah, I'm definitely gonna have to repair that, on the outside, and I'll probably re-inforce it on the inside too... And I hate fiberglass work! Grrr.. But oh well, guess that gives me as good an excuse as any to make the flush up the tunnel to shoe transition all around. And I appreciate the tips Breon, I'd say if there's anyone with fiberglass experience on SeaDoo hull's lately its you! Never heard of tiger hair, but I assume its something like shredded fiberglass strands? Anyway, guess I'll flip this sucker over and get to it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2105.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	236679   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2106.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	236680   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2110.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	236681   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2111.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	236688   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2112.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	236689   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2113.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	236690  

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    tiger hair is just bondo and fiberglass strands...and believe it or not i hate fiberglass work as well ...but i want what i want..

+1
    Off topic but not really.... On the bottom of my hull, the gelcoat has come off in an area about 5 inches in length and 1 inch or so in width. It doesn't appear to be getting bigger as I have watched it for the last few months. I got the ski for a steal (06 RXP) it had apparently been beached over and over and over. It is right in the rounded 'V' of the hull towards the front. Any suggestions or should I not worry about it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    Off topic but not really.... On the bottom of my hull, the gelcoat has come off in an area about 5 inches in length and 1 inch or so in width. It doesn't appear to be getting bigger as I have watched it for the last few months. I got the ski for a steal (06 RXP) it had apparently been beached over and over and over. It is right in the rounded 'V' of the hull towards the front. Any suggestions or should I not worry about it?
    just regel coat it and sand it and buff.. waaalaa!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturm215 View Post
    just regel coat it and sand it and buff.. waaalaa!
    WERD!! Thanks!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by boostaholic View Post
    Yeah... I just realized the biggest problem this causes... (See pics) The giant lip, and canyon that this creates between the pump tunnel and the shoe. So yeah, I'm definitely gonna have to repair that, on the outside, and I'll probably re-inforce it on the inside too... And I hate fiberglass work! Grrr.. But oh well, guess that gives me as good an excuse as any to make the flush up the tunnel to shoe transition all around. And I appreciate the tips Breon, I'd say if there's anyone with fiberglass experience on SeaDoo hull's lately its you! Never heard of tiger hair, but I assume its something like shredded fiberglass strands? Anyway, guess I'll flip this sucker over and get to it!
    If it were mine I'd do as I stated with the other guy in a post. I'd feather back the rough gel coat edge so your transition from new to old isn't apparent. it doesn't seem to look like it ate the fiberglass away just reapply the gel coat since it's pretty thick anyways and then sand smooth and buff it. Good luck.

Thread Information