need advice/opinions

First post, been reading pages and pages of posts, and need some advice. I owned a Polaris pwc in the 90's and am looking at getting back into it again with my family.

I am looking at, yet to go see/inspect them, pairs of jet skis;

First pair;

2001 & 2002 Polaris Virages 1200 cc, both seat 3, and from what i can tell TXI.

The second pair is;

Both sets are about the same price, the Polaris ones look in better shape. Any feedback/ recommendations would be great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pwcone.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	236677   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pwc2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	236676   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pwc3.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	236678  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    near Toronto, Canada
    Welcome to the Hulk

I don't know much about those non-Polaris models, but I can tell you that Yamaha used the Waverunner label on almost every model they made.

Hard to tell from the photos, but the copper colored 2002 Virage is probably a fuel injected Virage TXi model (looks just like my own 2002 Virage TXi).

Is the 2001 red Virage also a TXi model? The colors look like the carburetor 2001 Virage TX.

Tip: Easy way to tell is the carburetor engines have the spark plugs sticking straight up from the tops of the cylinders. The fuel injected engines have the spark plugs on a shallow angle and the chubby injectors are sitting on top of the cylinders.

Fuel injected and carburetor versions of the Virage with the 3 cylinder 1200 engine run about the same top speed (typically just over 60mph), but the fuel injected engine is somewhat more fuel efficient. I prefer the Ficht fuel injection for its easy maintenance, instant starting, no choke and especially no carburetors to maintain or adjust.

Others on here prefer the carburetor engines, especially if you want to tweak and boost performance.

Have a look at my signature links regarding things to look for when buying a used PWC, and some Virage and Ficht specific issues to be aware of.

The Virage hull is quite nice. On anything but very rough water it rides nicely, is quite stable even at low speeds. The Virage is comfortable for two adults, it can handle 3 when necessary. This is the norm for all brands of three seater PWC, they are happiest with 2 or 1 riders.

Thread Information