Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RXP vs VXR for maneuverability/playability?

Just wondering if anyone has ridden both a RXP and the new VXR and can comment on which one is more maneuverable/playable or are they about the same? I think my 08 RXP is a full 8 inches shorter than a VXR, does this make an impact on maneuverability or are there other aspects that need to be taken into account (hull shape/design, weight, ergonomics, etc.) It's crazy, but even though I settled on a left over RXP over the VXR (they where the two ski's I was considering) I still can't stop wondering about the VXR. I haven't even ridden the RXP yet, ha! I know this is the Yamaha forum, don't try to be too biased, heh. Maneuverability/playability between the RXP and VXR, what's the dealio?

+1
    I'm a little biased because I'm used to Yamahas & they definately have different handling & feel than the SD's I've ridden. I think the VXR feels lighter & more flickable than a 215. Not so much because of the lighter weight but because of the torquier 1800 engine. Not sure how a 215 compares in weight to a PX, but even though the VXR is a 3-seater, it's almost 50lb's lighter than a PX.

+1
    Ive ridden both , they are both different to each other. Both good fun ski's

He's a video of the VXR when I had it on my trip away last year , thanks to GCWR. only had 2 hours on the clock. Fun ski!!!

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Good video Richie.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by XLT Chad View Post
    Good video Richie.
    Cheers mate , ive got heaps... that was the best for showing the VXR. Great ski!!! I would have one , but i have too many skis now.... all not going.... hahahha

+1
    Your first mistake was not test riding both before you paid the money. You can't really determine the ride and feel of a ski for yourself with a keyboard and a forum. I can never figure out why consumers would buy a $12K PWC (any brand) without test riding the competition. If you can't find a friend with one, go to your local Yamaha dealer and tell them you think you might have made a mistake buying the RXP and you want to demo a VXR.

Dude, I have the RXP and like it except for in the chop. I spent 2500 + to go 77. I pick up my VXr in the morning so I'll let you know very soon ........PS the mods are cheaper for the VXs also........

Quote Originally Posted by itzmunch View Post
    Dude, I have the RXP and like it except for in the chop. I spent 2500 + to go 77. I pick up my VXr in the morning so I'll let you know very soon ........PS the mods are cheaper for the VXs also........
    I ride on a calm river so no chop at all. It's glass all the time, even when flooded, just a faster current and an occasional small boat wake, heh. I'm coming from a 94 VXR and briefly owned a GP1200R which I hated - too hard to start, blew up, seat way too fat, hated everything about. Just the feel/ergonomics the RXP feels tons better than the GPR - seat is so much narrower on the RXP. I wish I could of test rode them both, but I've never heard of any dealers letting you take brand new recreational vehicles for a test ride? How would they be able to sell them as new after they've been ridden? Heck, when I bought my Ford Lightning no dealers where allowing test drives on them and they where $34,000 plus mark up.

Besides, it was too cold when I was shopping anyway and I have this weird thing about riding something hard that isn't mine not to mention I always take it easy on a new-to-me machine until I get the feel of it. I'm still kinda new to PWCs so I possibly would of been equally happy with either one? Definitely curious to hear about the differences in more detail from people who've actually owned or ridden both....just for curiosity sakes.

Oh, I did briefly ride a 06 RXT. Man that thing was 100x more comfortable than the old VXR and GPR (but the old VXR is 100x more playful, heh) - the RXT just felt "too long". Seems like it would of been perfect if shorter that's why I thought the RXP might be a possible good ski for me? Just ergonomics wise- the RXP feels night and day better than the GPR. But can it maneuver and play?

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RichieFZR View Post
    Ive ridden both , they are both different to each other. Both good fun ski's

He's a video of the VXR when I had it on my trip away last year , thanks to GCWR. only had 2 hours on the clock. Fun ski!!!
    Can you give some specific details about what you like/dislike about each one? Like which one you like the ergonomics/feel of better. Which one will carve corners better. Stock for stock do they feel about the same power? Etc... Both are different, but both are good fun? Well... I can't even wait to ride the RXP. Getting warmer out now, just waiting for the water levels to settle down from all the rain.

BTW, I seen your video already when I was looking at videos on Youtube and was like... trees growing in the middle of a lake? lol... wouldn't you be afraid to hit one or since the water must be shallow for trees to be growing maybe the possibility of sucking something up in the impeller?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Your first mistake was not test riding both before you paid the money. You can't really determine the ride and feel of a ski for yourself with a keyboard and a forum. I can never figure out why consumers would buy a $12K PWC (any brand) without test riding the competition. If you can't find a friend with one, go to your local Yamaha dealer and tell them you think you might have made a mistake buying the RXP and you want to demo a VXR.
    When i first started to look at a PWC , I wanted to buy a RXPX or FZR. both ski's are over 20k here. Went to yamaha and got the FZR, didnt even ride it.

Now we have a RXPX to our fleet of ski's. I like to mix it up abit.

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post
    I ride on a calm river so no chop at all. It's glass all the time, even when flooded, just a faster current and an occasional small boat wake, heh. I'm coming from a 94 VXR and briefly owned a GP1200R which I hated - too hard to start, blew up, seat way too fat, hated everything about. Just the feel/ergonomics the RXP feels tons better than the GPR - seat is so much narrower on the RXP. I wish I could of test rode them both, but I've never heard of any dealers letting you take brand new recreational vehicles for a test ride? How would they be able to sell them as new after they've been ridden? Heck, when I bought my Ford Lightning no dealers where allowing test drives on them and they where $34,000 plus mark up.

Besides, it was too cold when I was shopping anyway and I have this weird thing about riding something hard that isn't mine not to mention I always take it easy on a new-to-me machine until I get the feel of it. I'm still kinda new to PWCs so I possibly would of been equally happy with either one? Definitely curious to hear about the differences in more detail from people who've actually owned or ridden both....just for curiosity sakes.

Oh, I did briefly ride a 06 RXT. Man that thing was 100x more comfortable than the old VXR and GPR (but the old VXR is 100x more playful, heh) - the RXT just felt "too long". Seems like it would of been perfect if shorter that's why I thought the RXP might be a possible good ski for me? Just ergonomics wise- the RXP feels night and day better than the GPR. But can it maneuver and play?

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

Can you give some specific details about what you like/dislike about each one? Like which one you like the ergonomics/feel of better. Which one will carve corners better. Stock for stock do they feel about the same power? Etc... Both are different, but both are good fun? Well... I can't even wait to ride the RXP. Getting warmer out now, just waiting for the water levels to settle down from all the rain.

BTW, I seen your video already when I was looking at videos on Youtube and was like... trees growing in the middle of a lake? lol... wouldn't you be afraid to hit one or since the water must be shallow for trees to be growing maybe the possibility of sucking something up in the impeller?
    HAHAHAHA no need to be scared mate. JUST GO HARD SON!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post
    I wish I could of test rode them both, but I've never heard of any dealers letting you take brand new recreational vehicles for a test ride? How would they be able to sell them as new after they've been ridden?
    It may be different in other areas, but here in Florida dealers often have demo models or pre-owned units sitting on their lots, you just have to shop around and tell them you want to ride one! For the last couple of years, Sea-Doo has sponsored "demo days" events all over the U.S. (and the world) so consumers can ride their products.

The fact is, two different models from two different manufacturers might appear similar, but handle completely different. That's why I have never purchased a ski without test riding that model in advance, along with the closest competition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information