Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Reverse for 1997 SL780

Hi Everyone,
    A few months ago I purchased a very clean SL780 from a friend.

Been lurking for a couple of months, great site! Lots of good info, I already changed out MFD for a MFI, thanks to info found here.

I have been looking for a reverse kit and just found a NOS one for a 97 SLT700. Would this fit my sl780? how much different are the hulls beside length?

Thanks for the help. I am sure I will have many more questions

Rich
    Last edited by K447; 05-02-2011 at 09:46 PM.

Banned User
    +1
    As long as both models use the same length pump, either short or extended it should work. If you have a short pump and the slt 700 is a long pump, the reverse cable will be too long. The other thing you will need to do is make a custom trim rod so your trim will work as well. The cable housing for the slt 700 kit may be longer as well, but I would think that could just be routed inside the hull to take up the extra length. I have a reverse kit here that I will be adding to my sl 900 when its complete, so if you need any pics or info let me know

Thanks for the info,
    I am a total newbie to ski's, very skilled in making custom parts for cars and bikes, just never worked on a ski before.
    How do I know what length pump I have? Also maybe my terminology is wrong, but shouldn't I be looking at the nozzle length? the parts outside the hull?

What ski are you getting the reverse parts from, or did Polaris make a kit for the SL900?

Again thanks for any help you can give, and excuse the dumb questions.

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk !

There are no dumb questions.....only dumb mistakes..LOL

You can look at what was original equipement here:
    http://www.partspitstop.com/pages/OemParts

Yes,the parts outside of the hull are the jet pump. The difference is the 4 inch extension.Also called the wear ring.
    The extended pump does have it's benefits. 96-97 was when they were changing over to the extended pump design,so it varies by model.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Don't forget to use my signature links - lots of good info to be found there

May I ask why you want reverse? It depends on how you launch and ride, but both my Polaris have reverse, and I find I use it only occasionally.

When approaching a dock, I find it more effective to use an S pattern at idle speed, then kill the engine. The ski then slides sideways up to the dock, scrubbing speed quickly. Takes some practice at first, but has the advantage of predictable control without the driver having to rapidly cycle between steering, throttle and reverse lever.

I should find or post a video demonstrating the technique

Banned User
    +1
    the extended pump has a 4 inch spacer between the pump housing attached to the hull and the pump stator.

Thanks for the welcome,
    The reason I am wanting reverse is that I will not be doing much full throttle play riding, I will be 2 up probably 90% of the time. And I will be using it to do some lake and river exploring, which means going into nearly every cove and up a few narrow areas that a quick reverse might be helpful. I also am looking for ideas to make it more stable when off plane, with 2 up it seems to wallow side to side, not sure what would help that.

I do know that a different ski might be a better choice, but I got the SL780 at such a great deal I couldn't pass it up.

K447, I have been to the links and read all that seemed important to my ski, and some that was not even geared to the SL's. Thanks for creating that, it is nice to find almost all the answers in one location, big thumbs up!!

Thanks again for all your help.
    Rich

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk Rich.

Unfortunately there's not much you can do to make a SL (2 seater) a good 2-up rider. They are unstable at low speeds with 2 passangers. (although not as bad as some Sea Doo's)

The only thing that will help a TINY bit is the addition of stock sponsons. Those will widen the hull just a bit more for better stability, but not much.

Only thing that'll make it stable is to get it up on plane.

If you're going to be doing alot of 2-up riding at lower speeds, may want to also look into an extended ride plate. It'll help plant the nose at take off, and get you on plane quicker.

Sponsons and the longer plate will make a noticeable improvement in handling of a SL with 2 passangers when at speed.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mnraaron View Post
    ... I will be 2 up probably 90% of the time. And I will be using it to do some lake and river exploring, which means going into nearly every cove and up a few narrow areas that a quick reverse might be helpful. I also am looking for ideas to make it more stable when off plane, with 2 up it seems to wallow side to side...

I do know that a different ski might be a better choice, but I got the SL780 at such a great deal I couldn't pass it up.

... I have been to the links and read all that seemed important to my ski, and some that was not even geared to the SL's...
    Well, to be honest with you while the SL models are rated for a maximum of two people, the SL hull is really happier with only one person on board.

If you want to ride comfortably with two people you really need a three person PWC such as the SLT or Virage. These hulls are not only longer, but also more stable at low speeds.

The Virage is very stable - I can stand with both feet in one footwell without rolling over. The even larger Genesis model is rated for up to 4 people and is the most stable Poalris model (and very spacious and comfortable for two people).

Perhaps you can sell your SL and find a larger hull that will be more stable and suitable for the type of riding you expect.

I think the SLT models came with reverse as standard, so the money and effort you would have put into adding that to your SL can be put towards the SLT purchase.

Be careful with shallow water riding. The owner's manual cautions against riding in less than several feet of depth. The jet pump can be damaged if the water intake suction draws up sand or rocks from the bottom. And sand or mud can end up in the engine cooling jackets, which is not good.

Riding through weeds and water plants can clog up the jet pump intake, which means you have to get under there and clear the stuff out.

Some owners have installed a Groco filter in the cooling water feed hose to trap material before it gets into the engine.

Ok, Thanks for the suggestions, but getting another ski has been ruled out by the boss, for now. I won't waste money on the reverse, but I have ordered some NOS sponsons for $45 and will get a extended ride plate. I am looking at the Ocean Pro ocean plate. I want to help out the porpoising and gain a little stability at lower speeds, am I heading in the right direction with the OP plate?

Again thanks for all the help, this is one of the friendliest boards I have been on.
    Rich

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information