cam cap came off tat cause oil coming out from breather kit

2 guys(AROD11889 and washo6o4) from the forum PM me saying there is oil coming out from their breather kit,ask me how i cured my previous problem which is the cap of the cams came off..and i ask them to check there and both of them checked and told the cap came off and now their problem is solved
    so guys if there is alot of oil coming out from the breather kit u can check whether is it the same problem

+1

this is more like a blowby issue

last year when running the the jd catchcan i had a oil mess.
    with that being said, i was told that it is possible that the cam caps came off or there could be a problem internally (rings/pistons).
    i checked the cam caps they where all there......
    so i took the catch can off and re installed the oem system with the riva engine breather kit on it.
    fast forward 6 months.
    my ski was not performing well, so we took it out with a afr gauge after checking the fuel pressure and getting fresh fuel in the tank thinking that "maybe" the fuel had condensation it.
    the afr was right @ 12.5 which is what is recommended with the r3/c5 setup. then about 2 miles later we lost a cylinder looking back we saw a cloud of smoke and we where riding with the seat to have access to tune the fpr on the water.
    we limped back to shore running on 3 cylinders.
    after a compression test we had 10lbs in the #2 cylinder.
    before that i had 155/145/145/155
    know it has 150/10/145/148
    the spark plug electrode did not get melted or crushed so hopefully the head and valves are ok. the oil looks clean.
    i am hoping it is just a failed piston and/or rings.
    no holes in the block which is a really good sign.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gordon lasiter #328 View Post
    last year when running the the jd catchcan i had a oil mess.
    with that being said, i was told that it is possible that the cam caps came off or there could be a problem internally (rings/pistons).
    i checked the cam caps they where all there......
    so i took the catch can off and re installed the oem system with the riva engine breather kit on it.
    fast forward 6 months.
    my ski was not performing well, so we took it out with a afr gauge after checking the fuel pressure and getting fresh fuel in the tank thinking that "maybe" the fuel had condensation it.
    the afr was right @ 12.5 which is what is recommended with the r3/c5 setup. then about 2 miles later we lost a cylinder looking back we saw a cloud of smoke and we where riding with the seat to have access to tune the fpr on the water.
    we limped back to shore running on 3 cylinders.
    after a compression test we had 10lbs in the #2 cylinder.
    before that i had 155/145/145/155
    know it has 150/10/145/148
    the spark plug electrode did not get melted or crushed so hopefully the head and valves are ok. the oil looks clean.
    i am hoping it is just a failed piston and/or rings.
    no holes in the block which is a really good sign.
    Sounds like a broken piston ring land to me Gordon. Time for a full build.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RichieFZR View Post
    Sounds like a broken piston ring land to me Gordon. Time for a full build.
    yes, richie it is my summer project to go for a full build......
    this is new territory for me.......
    if it is only 1 piston and rings all the oem pistons,sleeves, rods and valve springs are gonna be replaced.
    i do not want to patch it up with a new sleeve,piston and call it done.
    i want to have it done right the first time. i am currently gathering info on what other suggest. i think i want to stick with oem compression. but, i have also heard thru the grapevine of a 1.9 upgrade for the SHO/FZR POWERPLANT.

MY WORDS OF WISDOM TO SOMEONE WHO HAS A BLOWBY ISSUE WITH A CATCH CAN IS. CHECK YOUR CAM CAPS IF THEY ARE ALL GOOD. THEN YOUR PISTON RINGS ARE GETTING READY TO FAIL.

A different view - 12.0 to 12.5 is perfect on a NA engine. On an SC engine, 11.5 to 12.0 is far safer and you don't loose that much hp. Keep in mind, the afr is a combination of all four cylinders, therefore, if the average is 12.5, one or two cylinders could be running leaner and getting close to detonation. Those afr numbers are only at WOT. It is also very probable that if the ski originally had blow-by (oil out breather) that the problem was already there.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gordon lasiter #328 View Post
    yes, richie it is my summer project to go for a full build......
    this is new territory for me.......
    if it is only 1 piston and rings all the oem pistons,sleeves, rods and valve springs are gonna be replaced.
    i do not want to patch it up with a new sleeve,piston and call it done.
    i want to have it done right the first time. i am currently gathering info on what other suggest. i think i want to stick with oem compression. but, i have also heard thru the grapevine of a 1.9 upgrade for the SHO/FZR POWERPLANT.

MY WORDS OF WISDOM TO SOMEONE WHO HAS A BLOWBY ISSUE WITH A CATCH CAN IS. CHECK YOUR CAM CAPS IF THEY ARE ALL GOOD. THEN YOUR PISTON RINGS ARE GETTING READY TO FAIL.
    Mate , If I can help just let me know. As Ive already done one build and now doing a 1.9litre now only a couple of weeks away till it'll be on the water. 9 times out of 10 the bore will be scored. Now its how far you want to go on a engine build....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RichieFZR View Post
    Mate , If I can help just let me know. As Ive already done one build and now doing a 1.9litre now only a couple of weeks away till it'll be on the water. 9 times out of 10 the bore will be scored. Now its how far you want to go on a engine build....
    thanks. if you can pm me with what you have done on both builds that would be great. i am pretty sure i want to stick with stock compression.
    of course i want as much hp as possible while keeping it reliable.

as far as the afr goes. i was intending on tuning it to be within the 11.5 to 12.0 range. it never made it that far. when i tear it down i will see how the pistons look which will tell me if it was too lean or not.

another option is to get a motor from a donor ski. which would take alot of luck.

+1

ouch!!

sorry to hear about your engine failure gordon. i too had the oil in the catch can after every ride but after i installed the JD cooling kit the problem went away

Thread Information