2003 1200 XLT low power problem

Hi all,

My 2003 1200 XLT has picked up a problem recently and hopefully someone on here maybe able to point me in the right direction to finding the cause.

When accelerating there is a lack of power and it feels like it may be only running on two cylinders (it feels like a massive turbo lag on a car), it's as if there's a lack of fuel or maybe even no spark, the odd thing is after this 'lag' and showing around 30+mph on the speedo the ski takes off again and is very responsive again, once the revs are on the ski works like a charm but the lag is back on low revs!

I've changed the spark plugs and the problem is exactly the same, I'll order some leads this week anyway (a new set wont hurt) but just in case it's not the leads does anyone have any ideas on what might be the cause?

Thanks for any help

Deker

60% of the time, it works every time.
    how long have you had the ski and how long have you had this issue? Does it only do this from a stop after sitting for a while or does it all the time. I know when my ski was stock, I had a noticable "hesitation" off the line finding out later that this was normal due to the accelerator pump. Also, idling will load up your waterbox and the ski will feel like its bogging down when you hit the throttle untill its cleared out and then it will pull strong and smooth.

Sounds like it may be time to do the carbs, have you ever had them done?

Thanks for the replies, I've had the ski for just under a year and the problem only started last week, I changed the spark plugs as I figured that wouldn't hurt anyway but it didn't make a difference.

I don't have any history for the ski so the carbs may not have ever been cleaned, I'll have a look at the guides and order the refurb parts - would a carb problem still allow the ski to work ok once a certain rev range is reached (the ski runs normal once it seems to hit around the 30mph mark it just has problems building up to that!)

Thanks again

Deker

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    1 vote exh power vavle motor,,
    disconnect both cables to the black round disc -rotate 1 way then the other testing each way ,,,see if the jump/acc is good and report back..

Quote Originally Posted by KEYZBUM View Post
    1 vote exh power vavle motor,,
    disconnect both cables to the black round disc -rotate 1 way then the other testing each way ,,,see if the jump/acc is good and report back..
    Hi,

Thanks for the advice, what do you mean by the jump/acc?

would this also cause bad idle (trying to cut out)?

Thanks again

Deker

+1
    first check compression to see if its close to the same between all cylinders

then check the powervalve motor... put in the lanyard and bump the start button... then pull the lanyard and the servo will open and close the valves, 1 time. If it doesnt cycle the valves, move the rear cable wheel open and try again. If it closes them then you probably have a bad powervalve motor

also do a search for the upgrade mods, like D-plate, securing oil lines, waveeater clips, intake grate, ect

Thanks for all of the advice, It looks like it was the plug leads tracking out, I replaced the spark plus (as mentioned), and figuerd I would change the leads anyway as it's a cheap repair.

Quote Originally Posted by cuda167 View Post
    Sounds like it may be time to do the carbs, have you ever had them done?
    I think I'll schedule a carb overhaul at the end of the season as I don't know if they've ever been done!

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    first check compression to see if its close to the same between all cylinders

then check the powervalve motor... put in the lanyard and bump the start button... then pull the lanyard and the servo will open and close the valves, 1 time. If it doesnt cycle the valves, move the rear cable wheel open and try again. If it closes them then you probably have a bad powervalve motor

also do a search for the upgrade mods, like D-plate, securing oil lines, waveeater clips, intake grate, ect
    Thanks for the advice, I checked the powervalve motor and it's working fine (that's when I decided to do the leads)

I've put an intake grate on and a free flow exhaust, but will now look at fitting waveeater clips and securing the oil lines, I don't think the UK models need the D-Plate mod.

HI
    Deker how did you get on with this issue as I myself am having the same type of issue. My one has low power up to 30 mph then it picks up so any help you can give me would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by FAZ01 View Post
    HI
    Deker how did you get on with this issue as I myself am having the same type of issue. My one has low power up to 30 mph then it picks up so any help you can give me would be great.
    Changing the plugs leads fixed it for me, I ordered 2 meters of 8mm plug lead cable and 3 plug caps from ebay and changed them out (only costs about £15 so if it doesn't fix it you're not too much out of pocket!), I've been out on it about 15 hours since and it hasn't missed a beat

Good luck with the repair

Deker

Thread Information