Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Carb'd genesis chokes out if the hole...but then runs great

Had the carb'd genesis out on friday and saturday. It ran great friday but when I was loading it on the trailer it was acting a little finicky. When I got it home I pulled the plugs to take a peak at the wash and also checked compression. Compression was spot on and the was looked a little fat...which is where I expected it to be for the break in. I did notice that the plugs showed signs of to much oil...which is when I noticed that the oil pump cable had popped of and the pump was stuck in the default wide open position. Fixed that and took it out again on saturday and noticed the same problem....it would run great at speed but if I idled for a bit and then gave it some throttle it would choke and eventually stall. If I kind of feathered it out of idle I could get it to jump right on plane.

I'm almost thinking that maybe the accel pump isn't working, but is there anything else that would give these symptoms?

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Does applying some choke out of the hole make it run better or make it worse?

No notable change with the choke on.

+1
    Did the oil pump cable fall off again during this last ride?

No...it's very possible that I never tightened the cable when I put the engine back in and it's been like that since I did the break in a few weeks ago. I don't think the oil pump is the cause unless it majorly fouled the plugs and that's my problem :thinking:

Revisiting this...

After riding last weekend with the same problem I took it out again this morning and dropped in a brand new set of plugs....the ones in it were old ones I was using just for break-in. I was thinking that would solve it but nope...still bogging and stalling out of the holes. With just a tad bit of coaxing, it screams once you get it moving. I got right at 51 on the GPS...which isn't too bad for this old tank!

I did notice that giving it a little choke would keep it from dieing out of the hole, but it would run like crap until I shut the choke off.

Symptoms again:
    -Coming out of idle, engine will stall out if you give it a "normal" amount a throttle
    -Just a little feathering to get it to start to rev and you can floor it and everything is fine
    -Runs great on the top end
    -Giving a it a tiny bit of choke keeps it from dieing out of the hole but doesn't let it rev very high

-Need to check wash again, but I suspect it is still a little fat (possible cause?)

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    have you primed the accl pump by working the plunger all the way in a couple of times with a flat blade screwdriver while holding the throttle wide open.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    have you primed the accl pump by working the plunger all the way in a couple of times with a flat blade screwdriver while holding the throttle wide open.
    Is that the key to properly priming the Keihin accelerator pump?

Accel pump appeared to be working....I can see a nice strong stream shooting in to the carbs when I give it throttle.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    sometimes thats what it takes to get them squirting again,especially after they've sat over the winter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information