2001 ZXI 1100 no low end thrust

Hey guys, just bought a 2001 zxi 1100, took it out on easter morning for a test run. It ran pretty good except at low speed the revs were pretty high 5-6k range and if i cracked the throttle it would just rev out, i had to ease into it after a pretty long take off but once it was up and moving it seems as thought the motor would catch up and id have my power. but once i stopped, same thing, its like it had no thrust on the low end. Also how much oil should have been consumed during a half tank of mild riding? i mean how would i know the oil pump is working so i dont blow my motor? thanks in advance!!

+1
    Sounds like the impeller is damaged or worn. Could be too much clearance between the impeller blades and housing. I don't remember what the clearance should be on that pump, probably less than .020".

If you've got wear or damage to the impeller, there's a good chance that you've had trash pumped into the cooling system, too. I've found a couple of stators on those engines were blocked so there was no water flow through them. Pull the hoses off the stator housing (the plate on the front of the engine where the oil pump mounts) and try to blow through them. If you can't, you need to remove the plate, clean the chamber, hoses, and hose fittings thoroughly, then reassemble with new O-rings.

While you're at it, check the condition of the oil hoses, they are prone to getting brittle with age. It's a good idea to replace them with polyurethane hose.

Your oil injection system should pump oil at an average rate of about 50:1, which means that you'll go through a gallon of oil every 50 gallons of fuel. After half a tank of fuel, it would be hard to judge how much oil has been used. You might make a mark on the side of the oil tank with tape or a felt tip marker. If you're unsure about it, you can add oil to the gas until you verify that the pump is working. If it weren't working, you probably would have burned it up yesterday.

Steve, thanks so much for the information ,super helpful! i was leaning towards an impeller problem but didnt want to go straight to that. Although the intake grate did look clean so I figured the impeller was probably the next thing. The oil I guess Ill premix for now until I see levels drop, while i was giving a little gas through the no wake zone, saw alot of white smoke. Thought maybe it coulda been steam or something from the exhaust? Im gonna check the plugs to make sure they arent white/black to kinda get a feel for the oil situation, but like you said i guess i woulda ruined yesterday if that was the case. But thanks for the info again, ill check those hoses like to suggested as well.

+1
    2-strokes smoke a lot when idling. If you pre-mix in addition to oil injection, it will smoke more. Carry spare plugs and tools to change them if you foul them. Keep the RPMs up to reduce fouling.

ok cool thanks bro, one last question. i ride on the south shore of long island, usual 1 or 2 footers. what impeller would you recommend for me?

+1
    the solas concord 13/19 is a great prop on a stock 1100ZXi. i have new available here, if you want. also have good used, OE stock ones.

be sure to pull your pump, and inspect wear ring, and stator veins as well. you may have more issues than just a prop.

Thumbs up

ok cool, ill call you tomorrow.

Thread Information