Thread: GP1200R problem

GP1200R problem

Hey guys 1st post just wanted to say thanks for all the inforamtion yall have posted. I recently purchased a 2000 gp1200r and took it out yesterday for the second time. Heading back in something let go around the pump or implerer. The prop would spin @ idle but touch the throttle and the engine just revs up. Any idea what i might have broke??

Thanks,
    Jeremy

+1
    Sounds like you injested something into the intake grate. Crawl under the ski and check the intake grate and pump tunnel for debris.

Checked that 1st when i pulled it out of the water yesterday. Looking thru the grate and the nozzel you can see the prop.

+1
    You may have stripped the splines between the pump shaft and the intermediate shaft. This is extreem, but it can happen, especially in an 11 year old boat.

Take a flash light first and verify with a front view into the grate towards the impeller that absolutely nothing is on the shaft or between the impeller and wear ring. Then take a look through the thrust nozzle at the impeller for any foreign objects.

If you do not see any thing, then I would pull the pump and inspect the intermediate shaft for bits and pieces of brass shaveings (stick your finger inside of the intermediate shaft). Also, look inside the shaft with a flashlight to see if the splines are rounded or pointed.

If you find this kind of damage, it is time to replace the intermediate shaft. You may have to replace the shaft as well, but post some pictures first.

I agree with Salty, sounds like stripped splines, but this is usually accompanied by a high pitch metal on metal grinding sound. Did you hear any unusual noise from the shaft area? Same thing happened to me last fall about a month after I bought my 2000 GPR.

Alright looked up thru the grate and nozzel again and nothing blocking the impeller or around the shaft. I didnt hear anything when i was on the water but when I got back to the house to flush it there was a higher pitch sound coming from the impeller area for about 30 seconds maybe then it stopped. I ran it on the hose for about 15-20 min and never heard it again but it was deffinately noticable when i first started it up. Whats the best way to get the pump off? Looks like the ride plate needs to come off to get to one of the bolts.

Check out this site. www.cajundude.com. Click on the jet ski page. There are detailed step by step instructions on how to do just about anything you could possibly want to do to your ski. Very detailed and includes pictures. Yes you do have to remove the rideplate. Very important to heat the heat the heads of the bolts to loosen the thread locker. If not you risk breaking the brass thread inserts loose. Yamaha did not build the brass thread inserts in the hull. Instead they expoxied them in place and sometimes they break loose and turn with the bolt. If this happens you have to remove the battery box and depending on which insert spin you may have to remove part of the exhaust then grip the insert with a pair of vise grip in order to get the bolt out.

Took the ride plate and bolts for the pump out this evening. Cant seem to get the pump to slide out. Didnt break a bolt or spin a insert thank god!! Back @ it tomorrow Thanks for yalls help so far.

Finally got the pump to break lose. The splines on the drive shaft are pretty worn down and the end of the shaft is a little rusted. Now on to the intermediate shaft..........

Thread Information