+1

Air Leak in the charge cooler on my msx 150. has anybody had this before? best fix?

hi guys, whilst in the mist of fitting a bigger turbo, i was cleaning up a few things. ive cleaned out the chargecooler with chemical cleaner, then washing up liquid and the garden hose.

firstly the raw water inlet/outlet are definatley water tight, but if i put the garden hose in one of big boost tubes water starts coming out of the brass fitting on the left of the charge cooler (oposite to the raw water inlet,outlet.) has anybody experienced this before? a lot of water leaks, so must have leaked a lot of air pressure! perhaps this caused my turbo to overwork in the firstplace!

hows best to fix? try and get the brass/copper fitting out and re-seal? or weld a ferrous plate of alloy over the outside area of the leak (will the weld heat be to much for the chargecooler internals?

?????

+1
    I cant wait to here how the turbo upgrade goes.

The brass plug is part of the intercooler core and cant be removed. What you see is acting as a mounting dowel to position the core. From factory it has been sealed with sealant. You could remove the entire core and reseal it, horrible job. If it was mine I would grout out as best I could and put some good sealant there. Before you refit it pressurise it to at least 25psi to make sure it holds.

Cheers

+1

intercooler

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
    I cant wait to here how the turbo upgrade goes.

The brass plug is part of the intercooler core and cant be removed. What you see is acting as a mounting dowel to position the core. From factory it has been sealed with sealant. You could remove the entire core and reseal it, horrible job. If it was mine I would grout out as best I could and put some good sealant there. Before you refit it pressurise it to at least 25psi to make sure it holds.

Cheers
    Hi Kosh, after i posted the thread, i had a good look at the intercooler and as you say, its part of the core. doh. i couldnt believe how much water was leaking threw it. i took it into work last night and tickled it up. i cleaned out externaly where it was leaking, and ran a bead of 'tiger-seal' around the gap, a then cut a circular plate out of alloy and tider sealed that over the whole area. this should now hold. i didnt want to strip it, and the water circuit was water/presure tight. i shot blasted the cast alloy and sprayed it with indestructible aero space alloy paint and then ran a hefty bead of sealer back arround the plastic end cap.

as for the turbo, im waiting for it. Martin at precisionsports said it'l be four weeks for it to be ready, no problem though, while im at it ill have his solas 13/19 prop and a 160F thermostat.

i cant wait. im going for the new type oil tank too! £££££

as it was leaking so much water my turbo must have been working so hard to compensate the boost loss to get to actuator/boost solinoid pressure. gees, with the big turbo, prop and no boost leak (and new map/maf sensors) it should fly!

Thread Information