Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dying problem

Dying problem

Hi, im new to this forum and new to pwc's. Ive had mine since last summer, its a 2002 gtx 4-tec and all last summer it worked without any problems. I got it out the the other day for the first time this year and it started up fine and i rode it for around 45 mins then it just cut out, like i pulled the key out with no warning. I tried to start it but it just kept beeping and MAINT on screen. Luckily i was only about 200yards from shore so swam and dragged it in (i dont wanna do that again). The battery was flattened so i bought another as it seemed to have trouble turning it over on the old one. Took it out the next day with new battery and exactly the same thing happened, ran fine for around 45mins then died. I got towed in this time. I hit the set button and it gave me this code - P0337..which i checked online and it says cps signal problem..... what i want to know is why would it run perfect for a while then die when it gets warmed up ? I dont want to replace the cps if its not that, also im not that mechanicly minded and dont even know where to look for it.

Any help much appreciated as i would like to get it out next weekend without being towed back
    Thanks Andrew

+1
    If you replaced the battery and fired right up and then died after 45 minutes....sounds like a charging issue. Voltage reg might be bad. The code shown could be old and unrelated.

Did you notice a gradual loss of power before it died?

+1
    Sounds like your charging system. Start it, then unhook the positive end of the battery. If it dies, it's the charging system. Maybe a bad VR or Magneto. Both are easy fixes.

+1
    I had the same issue...bought a new battery..same thing......turned out to be my DESS post...replaced & all is good.

It turns over but doesn't fire up...just beeps with CHK ENGINE on screen....by the time ive driven home and its cooled down , it will start again straight away. All i get is that P0337 code come up. Ive been told if the sensor is to blame, the engine has to come out to change it ?? Its too unreliable to go out on so i must get it sorted. ..As i said , i ran it all summer, last year with no problems.

+1
    How does the oil look? Level?

How do the spark plugs look? Clogged fuel filter pickup in tank maybe?

Check for corrosion on the CPS sensor connector pins, Pull the valve cover, and check the cam gear trigger for damage.

Ok, thanks, I'll give these ago today. I won't know if it works til it's warmed up. How long can you run a ski up on a hose ? Is it safe to leave it running as long as it's got a hose connected or best to put it in the water ?

+1
    no more than a couple of minutes, on the hose. The carbon seal gets very hot. Best to put it in the water.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    Sounds like your charging system. Start it, then unhook the positive end of the battery. If it dies, it's the charging system. Maybe a bad VR or Magneto. Both are easy fixes.
    That is not a good test for a charging system, anything fuel injected will die even when working properly. That was a way to test back in the carburated days...not anymore.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by eb87 View Post
    That is not a good test for a charging system, anything fuel injected will die even when working properly. That was a way to test back in the carburated days...not anymore.
    Wow! I was told to check it this way from another member. Thanks for correcting me. Good to know!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information