Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HELP!!! Bolts Stuck

Hi Guys,

I need some help, over the weekend was doing some minor work and cleaning to the ski. Went to take off the rear boarding stop (on 09 FX SHO) to clean out the sand in it and of the 6 bolts holding it in I have 4 stuck with the bolt head sheared off.

I have tried using WD40 and another corrosion spray to lub and lossen and use vice grips on to get the bolts out with no luck.

I have ordered replacement bolts but can not get these ones out. Any ideas, suggestions?

Also following the manual it says to use loctite on a lot of bolts, do people use the loctite all the time as specified? I tried in local hardware store to find the right loctite with no luck.

Thanks

+1
    Personally, I always use the recommend loctite. But you really don't need a ton of it. As for the bolts, try a screw extractor set. It has worked for me on my FZR. I would also try some penetrating oil if you have it and you might want to upgrade to SS bolts instead of the stock ones, much less likely to break.

+1
    A good heat gun like this one will help the loctite let go just prior to using the extractor set.

I found one of these Bosch units (part number 1942) on ebay for something like $50 and it helps in a lot of different ways (especially removing/installing the pump bearings).

If that doesn't work, you will need to find the center of the screws and drill them out until the threads left can be removed. The key to this is to find the center and drill in that exact spot. Center punch.

+1
    +1 on the heat. Heat the backing plate from inside the hull. It might be easier to remove the spacers(parts 40 & 41) on the outside of the hull than using an extractor. That way you might be able to get a vice grip on the broken bolts. If all else fails, you can remove the backing plates(36 & 38 ), clamp the broken bolts in a vice & turn it out. When reassembling, use a liberal amount of thread sealer & that will keep water from getting to the threads & causing corrosion again in the future. Besides the bolts for the ride plate & intake grate, I use thread sealer on EVERYTHING below the water line & have never snapped a bolt because of corrosion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_01 Apr. 26 19.49.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	236895  

Those bolts can sure be a pain and on something as silly as the step.
    Even with new bolts I chased the threads, ran the bolts in with oil on them and then took them out. Cleaning everything before reinstalling with loctite andthey were still tight.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'l try some heat on them first then if no good I will try the screw extractors. If I get the bolts out can I ride it before I get the new bolts and put them in? I am assuming I can as I think the internal plates are solid and therfore water wont get in?
    Thanks

Any thoughts on if I can ride it once the bolts are out but the new ones aren't in?
    Obviously no step for a while.
    Thanks

+1
    Not quite sure if that is a good idea. The plates on the inside are just held on with double stick tape. There is chance that if that loosens and falls off, you will have 3 huge holes letting water in.

I just added a boarding step to my 09. I used 5200 instead to seal the holes and a small amount on the threads so that they cannot get any corrosion in them. They went in like butter for me. Don't know if I'll ever be able to get it off though.

You may just want to bite the bullet and order new backing plates and new screws. I think the total I just paid was under $50 total.

+1
    simple fix. Go ahead and remove all bolts that still have the head on them even if the heads brake off on them too. remove the step take a punch and tap on each bolt that is broken or insert the long small punch in to the hole where the bolt came from that did come out and this will loosen the inside plate and just replace the two mounting plates # 36 &38 in the parts picture from the inside with new plates and bolts. This is a lot safer than trying to use a easy out or heat I am 100% shur this is the correct thing to do. Tommy Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by SurfRider View Post
    Not quite sure if that is a good idea. The plates on the inside are just held on with double stick tape. There is chance that if that loosens and falls off, you will have 3 huge holes letting water in.

I just added a boarding step to my 09. I used 5200 instead to seal the holes and a small amount on the threads so that they cannot get any corrosion in them. They went in like butter for me. Don't know if I'll ever be able to get it off though.

You may just want to bite the bullet and order new backing plates and new screws. I think the total I just paid was under $50 total.
    On my '08 they are held on with adhesive just like the plates for the intake grate and ride plate. Did that change?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information