Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

05 rxt dropped a valve should i take $3400

I have a green and black 05 rxt with 77 hours, and a nice trailer. It apparently dropped the exhaust valve. It still runs, but rough, the rear cylinder has compression, but when you unplug the coil, still runs the same. switched coils, still runs the same. The supercharger is working good, has the new washers, installed a bilge pump, and over all the ski looks good (not great). It does need new steering and reverse cables. I was just offered $3400. Should I take it and run, fix it, or try to get more?

+1
    It wont have compression with a dropped valve and wont run at all if it dropped a valve

even an exhaust valve? The guy making the offer had a mechanic come and that was his diagnosis. It made sense to me.

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

He didnt put a compression gauge on it, just his thumb over the cylinder, and he said it has slight compression

Everthing louder than everything else! sHALlow's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by newskiier View Post
    I have a green and black 05 rxt with 77 hours, and a nice trailer. It apparently dropped the exhaust valve. It still runs, but rough, the rear cylinder has compression, but when you unplug the coil, still runs the same. switched coils, still runs the same. The supercharger is working good, has the new washers, installed a bilge pump, and over all the ski looks good (not great). It does need new steering and reverse cables. I was just offered $3400. Should I take it and run, fix it, or try to get more?
    if the ski was good to go at 77 hours you would expect 4500 obo. 3400 would be a nice down payment on a 2010 or 2011 and let the 05 be someone elses problem. my .02

+1
    Oh ok slight compression with your hand over it and good compression with a gauge are totally different. Id take the $3400 for sure
    Quote Originally Posted by newskiier View Post
    even an exhaust valve? The guy making the offer had a mechanic come and that was his diagnosis. It made sense to me.

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

He didnt put a compression gauge on it, just his thumb over the cylinder, and he said it has slight compression

Just based on what you said, I don't think a dropped exhaust valve is the right diagnosis. (If you dropped a valve, you would have heard it!) It could be low compression from a burnt valve, rings, etc, but not a dropped valve. I would suggest you first do a proper compression check with a gauge first. You might actually have OK compression, and it is simply a bad injector for that cylinder.

So with limited info, you could have something as simple as a bad injector, which means selling at $3,400 you are losing a thousand dollars on the deal. Or you could have broken rings and a scored cylinder, which means at $3,400 you are doing well, because it could cost you more than a thousand to get it back running if the cylinder is badly damaged.

Get a proper compression check done first and report back....

bad valve

I will try my gauge in the morning, thanks.

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

I forgot to add, it had been sitting for about 8 months, and it was running rough when we first started it, then would run at all, we added a couple of gallons of fresher gas to the 3 gallons of 10 month old gas, and then it started again, but still rough.

Just FYI, 4-TEC's don't like running with old stale gas. That might be your problem.... (hate to guess until you get a valid compression reading...)

+1
    I place my bet on bad spark plugs! Replace them if you havent then drain old fuel and add fresh fuel! Problem fixed then I bet but please let us know!

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    i would say if you know it has a bad valve..and cant do it yourself...3500 is fair...1500 doest go far in a jet ski shop.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information