Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New member Polaris SL900

Im new from PA just purchased a SL900 with 48 hours on it. Its my first jet ski, looking forward to getting it out and having some fun on it. Its in good shape minus some fading and needed re stickered. I have the hood and handlebar support off and getting painted black. I ordered hydroturf mats and hyrdroturf seat cover for it.
    going for this look with oem stickers.... I have interest in picking up a pro 785 after i use this one a bit

when i got it home....bumpers off being coated black

after some sticker removal

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Banned User
    +1
    What are you using to do the bumpers? I'm considering doing them on my sl900

Bed liner....its about the only thing i cant think of that will take the beating, they are looking great.....i might still replace the rub rails with some that are already black.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk.I would do some serious reading about your ski and learn about it. such as what things to check out to see if thier in spec. Theres items like: upgrades from Polaris, other items to check out are, the carbs being cleaned or rebuilt. These skis suffer over time and many things can go astray such as,, old fuel lines, a worn pump or impellor, filters and screens clogged. intake screen plugging up.

Have you done a compression test to the cylinders? do you know if the correct plugs are in it? has the hull thru bearing been greased? how about silicon spray on the throttle,oil,steering cables? these are just a few things to consider. early maintenance now will help you a bunch later...not burning down a piston or getting stranded..

Most guys on here would rebuild the carbs,needles and seats if need be, A check on the wear ring for clearence with the impellor, type and number of prop you have on it, replacing all the fuel lines, gas filters,type of plugs, gap for them, all bolts tight, a check in the ebox for corrosion, extra fuses for the ebox and theres a few more.. a good agm(glass absorbed mat) battery. These skis are fussy with an old battery in them. Not trying to scare ya, just looking out for ya.

BTW, theres no Polaris mechanics out there in shops, so your going to be the mechanic. read up and enjoy!, theres a TON of info on here to help you out. Really sit down and teach yourself about Polaris skis in general. You'll be glad you did. Theres nothing worse as your cruising around and something happens and your clueless as to what went wrong. Don't want to be stranded do you? Then do your homework. Welcome!

Now you want a Pro785 too? Shweet. better practice on that 900 first.. that will seem like a cadillac after you ride a Pro785.lol P.S. save your money up. Pro785's are pricey to repair. Join the club, I think we have 50 or so Pro785 owners on here. I have one myself! Just started the other day///man, I love those triple pipes. Congrats and feel free to ask for help. were all here to help each other.

If you look on the first page, theres a thread that asks different questions about you and your ski.. its called. questions before you buy a jetski.. answer those questions for us and we can better help you out..

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the hulk.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk. The 900 is a great ski, do the maintenance and you will have a ton of reliable fun!

Thank you,

Ive been over it a decent amount. I checked all the lines they are all pliable and clear. gas smells a bit like varnish I greased the fitting....first thing i did when i saw it. The ground going into the electrical box was cooked. obviously the case had made contact with the positive battery terminal at one time. My MFD did work before i replaced the ground then I arced on the battery terminals myself now the MFD doesnt lite up I have to open it back up and see if i burnt a fuse. I need on of the long bolts that holds the jet drive together if anyone out there has one!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jaa55 View Post
    ... gas smells a bit like varnish ...

The ground going into the electrical box was cooked. obviously the case had made contact with the positive battery terminal at one time.

My MFD did work before i replaced the ground then I arced on the battery terminals myself now the MFD doesn't light up I have to open it back up and see if i burnt a fuse.

I need one of the long bolts that holds the jet drive together if anyone out there has one!!
    Check all the Black ground wires inside the electrical box, and the black wires from electrical box to stator, and the thin black wire to battery negative.

Do NOT run with old gas. Drain it and use it in your lawnmower.

And while you have the fuel tank empty, clean it out. Inspect the filler neck and gas cap for hairline cracks and aged seals. It is common for the fuel float to get heavy with time which causes the fuel level to read low. Replacement floats are available.

John Zigler has sets of pump bolts available. Contact info from my signature links, under Parts Sources.

Now you know why it is recommend to disconnect the battery negative cables before working in the electrical box

great ski I love my sl900

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information