Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Carb mixture screws

This may have been discussed before, I didn't really know how to filter this one in a search, so I apologize if it's already been beaten to death.

Almost every time I ride my '95 Raider 701 (all stock), I have to adjust the HS mixture screws because they vibrate out. Can I locktight those, or do I need new tension springs on them, or is there some other type of trick to keep this from happening ?

+1
    Loctite should work. It might be too tight then if you ever need to remove them. Maybe try something else like a small amount of pipe sealant paste or gasket maker...maybe.

Ok cool... I'll maybe try the blue locktite and see how that works.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Loctite should work. It might be too tight then if you ever need to remove them. Maybe try something else like a small amount of pipe sealant paste or gasket maker...maybe.
    Thats a great idea... for future reference ( the pipe tape )

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMtnMikey View Post
    Ok cool... I'll maybe try the blue locktite and see how that works.
    I'm a little bit leery of recommending loctite here. I would try to find something else. Or wait until someone else chimes in with a better idea

+1
    Yeah, I'd have to agree that loctite is *not* a good idea. It does sound like your spring is bad. I would try to source new springs or see if you can stretch it out first. Also make sure that the threads are clean. They should not have any oil on them. Spray both the screw and the carb with some carb cleaner to make sure that they oil free.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. SurfRider, I will definitely try this. Please excuse the ignorance, but I can pull those screws out and clean them without fear of anything inside the carb happening, correct ?

+1
    If you take out the high/low speed setting screws, you will have to make sure you put them back where they are now, other wise they wont be set correctly.... make sure you remember where they are and or find out where they need to be set when reinstalled.

CDW, I've already had to adjust them, well the one on the PTO side carb anyway, from vibrating out. The factory recommended setting seems to run good, although I haven't done a spark plug check yet because I have to readjust it every time.

I just picked up a wetsuit finally, so I may get it out this weekend. I'll try stretching the spring first, if that doesn't get it then I'll try the pipe tape.

try to stretch the spring first..you can use a little bit of tefflon pipe dope or even some #2 permatex to help hold those needles too....good thing about using any of the above , they tend to stop the needles from corrodeing in place.

IMT, there is a light duty green thread locker just for this type of semi frequently moved adjustment..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information