Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NEW, NEED HELP. 1999 polaris slth 700

I was looking for info on the net and came across this site and decided to see if I could get help from someone. I have 1999 polaris slth 700 twin. I ran out of gas and since then it does not want to run at full throttle.can only get about 35 mph.I had it looked at, and mechanic said it was coincidental, running out of gas and its symptoms.He said it was electronic after checking carbs and fuel system. He cut a green/black wire off cdi (electronic box)and spliced into yellow/black wire unplugged from somewhere on the board this helped a little on the top end but made it idle rough and you have to feather throttle to get rpms up and still doesn't run right Then he said the cdi was probably bad so I found used one and I replaced putting all the wires back to original position. now it is back to the way it was before he worked on it and now the kill switch doesnt work. I switched the green/black back to the splice black/yellow and the kill switch works again but still doesnt run right.The new (used) cdi did not change any thing,and I am not sure where to plug black/yellow wire back to board.I'm thinking the black/yellow maybe my kill switch problem. I think he has made my troubles worse and he's not working on it any more. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

have you checked your compression? its good to have a baseline for your cylinder compression.
    and how fast were u going when u ran out of fuel? WOT?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by David10
    He cut a green/black wire off cdi (electronic box) and spliced into yellow/black wire unplugged from somewhere on the board...
    Black wire with Yellow stripe, or Yellow wire with Black stripe?

Black/Yellow is indeed the Kill switch wire. I will have to check the wiring diagram to see why the mechanic would either wire would needed to be altered.

As for what wires connect where, with one exception* every colored wire connects to a terminal on the board marked with that color code, or has a bullet connector that plugs into a mating wire of the same color. Black/Yellow connects to the Blk/Yel terminal.

Do have a look at my signature links. What maintenance have you been doing, or not doing?

Does this engine have the original ignition system or the Update Kit?

Also check compression, just to be sure the problem is not mechanical.

I will check the compression and get back to you . I was at wot on takeoff but died right at plane. Thanks for the response.

Checked compression got 130 on each cyclinder. About the wiring that is what I thought When I put the new cdi in, that is where I plugged the black/yellow wire to the terminal, beside the black/yellow wire that comes out of the cdi, and the kill switch would not work. When I un-plug the green/black on the cdi side (which is the wire he cut on the old cdi) the wire is not being hooked to any thing and the green/black on the coil side is what he has hooked to the heavier gauge black/yellow. It does change the way it runs and the kill works with it hooked up this way, but it is still not right, and the kill switch worked fine until he done whatever he done. I have not done any maintenance at all. The part # on the cdi is 4060148, I assume that is not the update kit from what I found out on the internet, but I'm not 100% sure. Also , I am new to this forum stuff, I hope I am doing everything right.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by David10 View Post
    ... When I put the new CDI in, that is where I plugged the black/yellow wire to the terminal, beside the black/yellow wire that comes out of the cdi, and the kill switch would not work.

When I un-plug the green/black on the cdi side (which is the wire he cut on the old cdi) the wire is not being hooked to any thing and the green/black on the coil side is what he has hooked to the heavier gauge black/yellow. It does change the way it runs and the kill works with it hooked up this way, but it is still not right, and the kill switch worked fine until he done whatever he done.

I have not done any maintenance at all.

The part # on the cdi is 4060148, I assume that is not the update kit from what I found out on the internet, but I'm not 100% sure...

... I am new to this forum stuff, I hope I am doing everything right.
    You are doing just fine. Honestly, this forum is the primary resource on the Internet for Polaris PWC. Between the Greenhulk Polaris forums and my signature links, the info you need is probably in here somewhere

Can you take a few clear photos of the electrical box and these wire connections? Use Close-up mode on the camera (flower icon).

To upload the images, reply using Advanced Mode, then scroll down to Manage Attachments button.

You can include a previous post in your reply by clicking the Quote button under that post, then add your reply text.

The Black/Green wire (that would be a Black wire with a Green stripe) is the primary ignition coil feed from the CDI for the MAG cylinder. If that is not connected properly you may not have proper spark on the MAG cylinder. Black/Green should simply connect directly from the ignition coil to the CDI and not to anything else. Same for the Yellow/Brown wire, which is the PTO ignition coil.

Regarding the kill switch, double check that the terminals you are connecting Black/Yellow wires to are all part of the same terminal 'group'. Each group is a simple U shaped metal piece on the terminal board.

Yes, 4060148 is indeed an 'original' ignition CDI. That means it is quite possible that you need to install an Ignition System Update Kit. First lets get the wiring straightened out, and we can go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by K447
    Can you take a few clear photos of the electrical box and these wire connections? Use Close-up mode on the camera (flower icon). ...

The Black/Green wire (that would be a Black wire with a Green stripe) is the primary ignition coil feed from the CDI for the MAG cylinder. If that is not connected properly you may not have proper spark on the MAG cylinder. Black/Green should simply connect directly from the ignition coil to the CDI and not to anything else. Same for the Yellow/Brown wire, which is the PTO ignition coil.

Regarding the kill switch, double check that the terminals you are connecting Black/Yellow wires to are all part of the same terminal 'group'. Each group is a simple U shaped metal piece on the terminal board.
    I will take some pictures today.

I guess I should have been more detailed on the wires, the wires are (black W/green stripe) and Best I can tell ,I will look closer when I take the pictures (black w/yellow stripe). Yes it is ( on the board) u-shaped terminal and marked B Y..

I REALLY appreciate your help, Thanks very much.

O.k. I think I figured out the kill switch problem.

When I went to take pictures , I wondered if the cdi I bought maybe was bad ,so I took it out, and fixed the cut wire on the old cdi and put it back (Everything color to color ) and every thing is back to normal with the wiring so I didn't take the pictures.

To explain how it is running , At idle it purrs like a kitten and has good throttle response up to half throttle but when you go to wot it cuts in and out if you know what I mean,almost like it is starving for fuel.

I looked into the top of the carbs at wot while running and there was a good mist of gas in the body.

I pulled the plugs to look at them and the front plug was really wet,and looked like to me oil build up. The rear plug was much cleaner.

I also took the carbs somewhat apart with shop manual checked the jets sprayed out with carb cleaner and it made no difference.

+1
    Not entirely following you

You say you figured out what the kill switch problem was - what exactly was the problem?

Now it is not running as expected above 1/2 throttle - correct?
    Is this in the water, or out of the water sitting on the trailer?

What is the max RPM level before the problem happens?

Do you have strong spark on both cylinders?

Quote Originally Posted by K447
    You say you figured out what the kill switch problem was - what exactly was the problem?

Now it is not running as expected above 1/2 throttle - correct?
    Is this in the water, or out of the water sitting on the trailer?

Do you have strong spark on both cylinders?
    What I think is, (sometimes I get in trouble when I think) the cdi that I bought to replace the old one (one the wire was cut), is bad.

I fixed the cut wire on the old one and put it back in (all matching color wires like it was originally )the black/yellow back on the terminal where it goes and the kill is working correct again.

With the cdi I just bought the kill switch will not work. The new cdi didn't change the way the motor was running (the original problem the mechanic was trying to fix), when he cut the wire and spliced into the blk/y wire.

I am still not sure that the cdi is not my problem, if something is wrong with the new one also. It runs the same with either cdi.

It is not running right any where but idle. From just past idle to Half throttle (not sure of rpms) like small hiccups, from half to wot like big coughs. The more throttle you give the worse it gets, and wot is the worst.

It seems to have good spark. It also looks the same on both plugs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information