Thread: Jetski racing

Jetski racing

Hello
    Just want to get some advice on the racing scene.
    The IJSBA is comimg to Colonial Beach Virginia July 29-31, seeing how it only about an hour north of us I thought I might give it a try and I am wanting to know what to expect.
    I have a 97 polaris sl700, I am 45 years old and have been riding skis for 23 years but have never raced. I have registered for the beginner stock class and have read over the rules.
    What type of helmet do I need and what type of starts do you think they will use, how many riders in a heat, do I have to worry about some idiot running into me. Basiclly I looking for what to expect over-all. I think it should be a fun weekend but I don't want to look like a newby either.
    Thanks
    Tim

+1
    Tim, I will also be at that race. The beginner stock class consists mostly of big 4 strokes. Your SL700 might be a little out classed if you know what I mean. I would recommend maybe entering on the 800ltd class if any class at all. You will be racing much smaller machines and most if the guys are really willing to help. I may have a Pro785 for you to try if you want.

Answers to your questions.

1) What type of helmet do I need – Full face with a set of goggles
    2) Starting – Line with consist of no more than 12 riders. They will use a starting system with a rubber band. Race official will point down the line and wait for a head nod from each rider / Drop the 1 card on the side and band will snap. (Go time)
    3) Do I need to worry about some idiot running into me? Like in every sport when the green flag drops its go time. As noted before I would recommend running the Limited class. Much better racers better chance not to get hit.

PM or call with any other questions

Jeff 585-261-3360

Thanks for the info, maybe we can get together at the race and you can keep me going in the right direction. I am from Yorktown virginia maybe an hour or two south of colonial beach area we ride the chesapeake bay york river area most weekend throughout the summer. Currently have a 96 sl700, 97sl700 96 tigershark 900 and a yamaha wr3 650.
    Thanks for the info on the classes in the races, I was not sure which one to sign up for and thought the beginner class was for me, ski is all stock and I just completed a total rebuild of everthing on the ski so it should be ready for the challenge. As far as the helmet will a motocross style work, they seem to be much lighter and maybe not so hot in july, do you have any recoomodation on google or just any pair will do. Have read were the riders use rainx on them any thoughts ? Vest, do you need a special type of life vest, currently I wear the elcheapo from wally world, I do have a very nice neoprene vest but it will cook you in the summer. wetsuit ? have you raced at this location before, I was wondering how do you get your ski in the water, looking at google maps there does not seem to be a ramp close by. Sorry I have a million question and want to be prepared. Getting psyched up, can't wait my wife think am going to kill myself.
    Thanks again

+1
    Feel free to give me a call

+1
    I would suggest you leave your ski on the trailer and go watch this race to get a feel for it. I think you are going to pose a danger to yourself and the other racers on your ski no matter what class you are in due to being lapped regularly. The SL700 is probably one of the slower skis on the water and will be completely out classed by all skis at the race. I understand you wanting to test your abilities, but I think you should educate yourself a bit further first by attending the race as a spectator and if possible hooking up with one of the guys on here to assist them.

+1
    It is a blast win or loose, we have a guy that races in region 5 that is 5-7 years older than me and I am 53, we sometimes lap him, but he is just having a blast, like the rest of us, they usually have practice on Friday's set up day, and practice each morning before they get under way, once it gets into your blood you don't want to stop,
    good luck,

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarisracer166 View Post
    Tim, I will also be at that race. ........I may have a Pro785 for you to try if you want.
    Definitely take up Jeff on this offer if you can! The fully race trimmed hull with 50HP more than your 700 will make you much more competitive. Sure you're SL700 is a very fun, nimble ski to cut around the lake but the Pro785 is really cut out for this kind of stuff. Depending on your riding abilities, if you run the 785 you just might be able to hang a bit with the other guys riding $12,000 skis!

KJ

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by skigolfnut View Post
    It is a blast win or loose....
    I think it would be a blast to give this a try. If there was a race within reasonable distance from me and I had a race worthy ski (I only own 3-seater aqua-couches) I'd be willing to give it a try. I'm sure I'd chicken out on some tight turns or cut too hard and spin out, but hey, that's all part of the fun.

KJ

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonmtz View Post
    Definitely take up Jeff on this offer if you can! The fully race trimmed hull with 50HP more than your 700 will make you much more competitive. Sure you're SL700 is a very fun, nimble ski to cut around the lake but the Pro785 is really cut out for this kind of stuff. Depending on your riding abilities, if you run the 785 you just might be able to hang a bit with the other guys riding $12,000 skis!

KJ

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

I think it would be a blast to give this a try. If there was a race within reasonable distance from me and I had a race worthy ski (I only own 3-seater aqua-couches) I'd be willing to give it a try. I'm sure I'd chicken out on some tight turns or cut too hard and spin out, but hey, that's all part of the fun.

KJ
    I have a Sweet 785 i just got in ready to win !!!!! we can put your # on it for you

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    I have a Sweet 785 i just got in ready to win !!!!! we can put your # on it for you
    Yeah, yeah, yeah.....I know. I've seen all your 785 threads with the monstrous collection, the one Redline was selling, skigolfnut's 785, and now the Pro 785 / Pro 1200 package deal that goBENGALS posted in the classifieds yesterday. All of these are drool worthy because I have lusted after a Pro785 ever since I saw one at the the 1st Midwest Gathering. The only problem is the toy budget is limited and dropping that kinda cash on a ski that only I would ride is a hard sell. Granted I would love to rip the local lakes on one and show off a bit, but I have Dave Ramsey yelling in my head trying to eliminate all debt.

KJ

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonmtz View Post
    ... I have Dave Ramsey yelling in my head trying to eliminate all debt...
    No arguing with that approach!

Thread Information