Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

What do you guys think of this to help deter fraud in the GH's marketplace?

Just a suggestion, but it would be fantastic when a member takes a picture of the items they have for sale, they include a card in the picture that clearly displays the users name for authenticity. This is quite common on eBay. Buyers have more faith in a seller, especially a seller that's new to the forum/selling and has no friends in his contact list! That trust shoots up 100 fold!

+1
    its a good idea

+1
    I like it..

what does this accomplish? Just proves that they actually HAVE the item for sale in their possession?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tempest.runner View Post
    ... include a card in the picture that clearly displays the users name for authenticity...
    Which name? Greenhulk screen name, PayPal email address (the address payment is to be sent to), or real name?
    Or all of the above?

Name must be hand printed, not photoshopped in, of course.

+1
    what does this accomplish? Just proves that they actually HAVE the item for sale in their possession?
    Pretty much. If the item is not in the sellers possession, the red flag should be raised!

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Which name? Greenhulk screen name, PayPal email address (the address payment is to be sent to), or real name?
    Or all of the above?

Name must be hand printed, not photoshopped in, of course.
    I was thinking just the users GH screen name for privacy reasons. I'm curious what you mean by hand printed?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tempest.runner View Post
    ...I was thinking just the users GH screen name for privacy reasons. I'm curious what you mean by hand printed?
    These days it is to easy to use a photo editing program to add some text to an image.

Requiring the name to be hand printed (hand written) on a paper that is part of the original photo means someone cannot easily crib someone else's parts photo and add their name to it.

Individual privacy vs. security of the group - where have we seen this issue before...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    These days it is to easy to use a photo editing program to add some text to an image.

Requiring the name to be hand printed (hand written) on a paper that is part of the original photo means someone cannot easily crib someone else's parts photo and add their name to it.
    I never thought of that, great idea!

Banned User
    +1
    On the photography forums I belong to, that is standard practice. To include a picture of a card with your screen name, e-mail address, and a date. I've bought and sold thousands of dollars of camera equipment that way, and never been burned.
    But, these forums also have a feedback scoring system built into the classified section of their forum, where users that bought or sold something can give that person a thumbs up, or thumbs down, and write a little recommendation on their "feedback" page, which is part of the users profile.

Also, they charge $25/quarter, to be able to sell anything on these photography forums. That way, you have to pay to sell. That may not be practical with jet ski parts, but it is practical when you're selling a $4000 camera lens. You still save a ton of money versus using Fleece Bay, and Paypal fee's. I have done UPSP money orders, and even wire transfers. But, the users all had over 100 positive feedback scores, I checked all their posts, talked to them on the phone, and felt comfortable enough doing it.

In this day and age, it's very difficult to spot/stop fraud. There will always be "that one guy".....and, there will always be someone that is stupid enough to wire transfer money, site unseen, to Western Union in Nigeria. But, I think you guys are doing a pretty good job of stopping the newbee's from getting on here, and basically doing a "drive-by" sale. Where they and their friends pump up there post count, they sell, don't deliver, or not as advertised, and they're out of here.

Also, I think a cap/limit should be set as to the number of items a single member should be allowed to sell, in one year. This site has a store, that sells parts. It's also owned and sponsored by a company that sells parts. So, there is no reason for someone to sell 100 parts a year, on GH, without at least paying some sort of a fee. I know this will piss some people off. But seriously, they are using someone else's website, to run a business, and that is not what this website is for.
    Get your own damn website if you wanna sell a lot of parts, or, try E-bay or Craigslist. Selling on GH should be a privilege, and only used sparsely, not abused.

+1
    The card idea is a good idea and will help.
    However, The best advice guys is to only buy from the users you know, or someone in your group knows. Especially when it comes to high $$ items. Personally, If I'm buying high $$ parts I'm knowing damn sure who I'm sending my money to, or I'm not sending it at all and buying new. However, I might be inclined to take a chance with a new user or someone I don't know for something small/inexpensive or obviously something I can go see in person.

Way to many people get caught up in "cheap prices" with users that are clearly shady and why someone would send a large amount of money to someone they don't know, or for used parts on a website without doing their homework on the user is beyond me.....
    Just remember guys the best protection for not getting ripped off are the steps YOU take yourself to make sure the deal goes the way it should.
    Don't be afraid to click on a users name and "view all posts". Do your homework.

Some of the red flags:
    -someone parting out a very new ski with very low hours
    -selling a ski where it's pretty clear the regi numbers are from a state NOWHERE near where they are from.
    -someone selling parts from a ski where they have no past post history on even owning. Pretty easy to spot the yamaha owner, but why is he selling seadoo parts... (sometimes legit, but just make sure).
    -parts with NO prices, NO pictures. IMHO this is a "bait" thread to direct the "sale" off the open forum.

Doug

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information