Talking 95 polaris sl750 help needed

bought this 95 sl 750 ski was sitting a few years, I removed carb only to find out they were toast, so i bout a clean set off e-bay, took them apart cleaned them all seals ect looked and felt new, replaced fuel pump with new updated pump, Replaced all fuel line and has restrictor in end of last carb, It has oil injection removed, so i cleaned tank fresh fuel mix, fired right up, took it to the lake seem to run ok but when i took a top end pass and topped it out felt good at first but after 20 sec then seem like it was running lean because it like you left the gas off, so i cleaned carbs again, still same thing but this time it motor stopped and got real tight, let cool of a few min started rigt up took it back to trailer, took heads off and found mag cylinder had top ring gland burnt up and lost most of its compression and middle cylinder was starting to wear a spot in center. pto cylinder look good no damage, i was going to replace pistons and put larger main jets and adjust fuel screws and go from there, im a motorcycle tech, but a little new to pwc, Any advice would help, Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Replacement carbs? What jets are in them, and what model/year were those carbs removed from?

Did you replace the fuel pump?

What did you set the carb adjustment screws to?

Have you looked at the info in my signature links for the Fuji engines?

+1
    the 750's had different jetting through the years.

also the 650 carbs "look" the same, but internals are also different.

sounds like you have a lean condition, and melted a piston. did you check your fuel select valve? gas cap? etc. the fuji's are known for fuel related problems.

what fuel pump did you install?

A new 3 outlet mikuni, main jet #90, air screw where set a 1 1/2 turn all, The carbs are black and was told they where off a 780, Gas cap looks like it was sealing good. I think i put those jets in carbs from my old bad blue carbs but cant remember , ski was running good and fast untill i held it wide open for a LONG top end pass.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Black carbs are normally from the 780.

Holding the ski at WOT for a long time is a recipe for disaster if it isn't tuned right.

Do a compression test.

It's apart now front cylinder ring gland is melted on mag cyl, middle cyl almost got a hole, mag cyl looks ok with no damage, all 3 jugs look good i was going to run a hone through them to clean them up and drop 3 new piston in, re-clean carbs again remove petcock and put in a on off valve with no reserve, replace all fuel line again , i was thinking of going to 95 main jets to be safe, open air screws a bit and tune from there, do you guys think that might work ok, thanks for any advice

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigum100 View Post
    ... open air screws a bit ...
    There are no 'air' screws. The carb adjustment screws, when turned anti-clockwise, allow more fuel into the engine.

Turning the screws 'in' reduces the fuel flow. The screws have a limited range of flow adjustment - from fully closed to 3 turns open (which is way open for the screw adjuster) is similar to an increase of only one or two jet sizes.

(I forget the exact ratio between the flow change for each full screw turn and the flow change for one jet size increment )

Thread Information