Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

R&D Powershot Adjustable Fuel Tuner for VXR/VXS & fzs/fzr

Hello
    Is there a difference in the R&D Powershot Adjustable Fuel Tuner for yamaha 1800 VXR/VXS & fzs/fzr

tahnks

uae_superjet

+1
    Might want to contact R&D directly for that info. VRS/VXR model is so new I'm guessing almost no one is using one, since mods are just becoming available.

+1
    The actual unit is the same, but the internal programming is different. The programming has to be different for the presence or lack of forced induction.

+1
    I havent seen one of these units but surely its just a standard piggy back with no boost reference point.

All it does it modifiy the injector signal by a set percentage in the controller and injects less or more fuel.

Exactly like a power commander module does on bikes.

Why arent you guys usings these as these are about half the price?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rick xp View Post
    You are correct in that the powershot R&D sells is the same hardware that is used on bikes and other motors. The reason the R&D ones are more expensive is due to the small market size for PWCs in general and the research and development that goes into the software in the powershot.

+1
    Its exactly the same software as power commander. Replace the sticker and you wouldnt know any different yet you pay nearly 3 times as much.

Every controller is just about the same. Just need to use your head and buy some adapter plugs.

Awesome!!

+1
    While the software may be similar, I don't think it's the same. For instance, the newer Powershots have a setting to choose between an OEM ECU and an R&D reflashed ECU - can't imagine a Power Commander would have such a setting.

You could use a Power commander.

http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...PartNum=22-024

If you look at the above link you'll see that the use it on a Snowmobile engine. It would just take some tweaking. I thought of this long ago. The waverunner product prices are over the top if you ask me.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rick xp View Post
    I havent seen one of these units but surely its just a standard piggy back with no boost reference point.

All it does it modifiy the injector signal by a set percentage in the controller and injects less or more fuel.

It is NOT the exact same as a power commander. You are correct that it is just a piggyback fuel controller, but it can only add fuel, not take away.

You aren't just paying for the unit when you purchase it from R&D. You are paying for R&D's custom programming of the unit to work precisely with their tunes. R&D writes their own programming for these units. But if you want to try and do it from scratch, on your own, with a power commander, go for it.

I did a little research into this a while back and I know what these unit cost and how much the equipment costs to be able to custom program them. Add in all the time spent on actually writing that program, and the unit is NOT over priced. Just my .02.

Here is a similar unit for use on Mercury outboard motors which have been around a LOT longer than our engines and it costs $325. So $150 more for use on our skis. and guess what, R&D is the only ones that even offer anything like it. Plus you can get the Greenhulk discount when you order through Jerry's store.

http://www.simonmotorsports.com/fuel/fuel.html

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    It is NOT the exact same as a power commander. You are correct that it is just a piggyback fuel controller, but it can only add fuel, not take away.

You aren't just paying for the unit when you purchase it from R&D. You are paying for R&D's custom programming of the unit to work precisely with their tunes. R&D writes their own programming for these units. But if you want to try and do it from scratch, on your own, with a power commander, go for it.

I did a little research into this a while back and I know what these unit cost and how much the equipment costs to be able to custom program them. Add in all the time spent on actually writing that program, and the unit is NOT over priced. Just my .02.

Here is a similar unit for use on Mercury outboard motors which have been around a LOT longer than our engines and it costs $325. So $150 more for use on our skis. and guess what, R&D is the only ones that even offer anything like it. Plus you can get the Greenhulk discount when you order through Jerry's store.

http://www.simonmotorsports.com/fuel/fuel.html

Hahaha dude you are so far up R&D's arse its not funny.

For the first time your right about something and its not exactly the same because the power commander is better unit and does stuff the R&D one cant.

Its pretty much exactly the same as a R&D controller except its not pre programmed. The R&D fuel controller is pretty crappy though as that you can only add fuel as the skis run quite rich from stock and are very thirsty and wouldnt buy one if i was putting it on my stock boat. Well actually a Power Commander is much better product as you can go plus and minus 100% over stock fueling which means you can take shit loads of fuel out when cruising. The power commander also has a boost port so you can have the fuel based on MAP as well if you wanted to.

Who cares if its not pre preprogrammed to be honest because you WILL have to change it any way to suit your motor. But guess what power commander has also got your balls on that one as well as they have a Autotune module that comes with a lambda sensor and all you do is type in the required AFR and then go for a run and it change the map to suit the AFR you have requested. Doesnt get better than that son.

Can pick up power commanders for under $300 if you shop around and a couple of plugs and you have a MUCH better fuel controller with complete control.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information