weird problem on 96 gtx 787, need advise

i started my gtx today, bogs when trying to accelerate, after it warms up or i remove the key a couple of times, then it stops bogging. ive replaced the plugs, check the carb for correct idle, and mixture. it was fine. after i get it to run right if it cools down again iam back to square one. first i thought it was the key, because a couple of times after i removed it, ran fine but then again it might of been it got warmed, by the way its starts right up no problems there, when it bogs if i let go the gas, it idles fine, when i accelerate it seems like it cuts the gas limiting the rpms, iam not sure if its electrical or gas related but it runs fine after i play with it a little,and can run all day as long it doesn't sit for while off.

+1
    sounds like it is time for a little maintenance.

i would recomend rebuilding the carb. ( use only genuine mikuni brand parts, and kits)
    check the fuel select valve. these are known for clogging, and causing a fuel restriction
    clean the RAVE valves. make sure they are not sticking, or bellows leaking
    check all exh hoses for leaks. also inspect the pipe. ( known for leaking at the welded plugs, top and under)

could also be the voltage regulator, causing it to limit RPM's

good luck.

This sounds exactly like the symptoms I had with mine when my Regulator blew. It would severely limit the rpms. Unhook the red wire coming from your MPEM to the regulator and try it out. Make sure you have a good charge on the battery because it wont be getting charged. If this works, then your regulator is bad. Watch out when messing around with it as well as the RPM limiter will not work and you could over rev if your are water testing it and the ski comes out of the water.

try pulling choke out a little the next time it does it if engine catches and takes off its your carbs,try pulling choke about 1/2 when its doing it with throttle hel.marvind open if it takes off its carbs ,the fuel filter in each carb is partially plugged up they have to be completely clean as they are the size of an eraser on end of pencil, if it dies or floods its electrical.hope this helps.marvin

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Happy reading....this will solve your issues

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ystem-Cleaning

i did try the choke and no i really dont think its carb related. because once it goes away, you can ride it all day with no problem until it cools down or sit for a while. ill try out the red wire or remove the regulator from my other ski. thanks to all ill keep you posted.

couln't find the rectifier/voltage regulator, where is it? looked in the electric box by the batt, only saw coil and solenoid and fuse, i also have a 2000 gtx and the regulator is in top of the electrical box, not on my 96, the only red wire i found is the one for the fuse. i saw them on ebay(to see what it looked like) for a 96, couldn't find it on my ski. please help. thanks

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

finally found it! it is shot, removed the red wire runs fine, put it back in and same problem... thanks

You need to look inside the MPEM box for a part that looks something like this

If should look almost like this piece except it wont be black, it will be a clear epoxy on it. Thats the red wire I am talking about. Trace that wire down and look for the connector on it, unplug it there.

Sorry, just reread your post.

Replace that rectifier and you should be good to go then.

Thread Information