Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

06 gtx sc 5600 rpm

I have an 06 GTX SC with 102 hours on the clock. Just got back from the first trip to the lake this season and its running fine but with it pinned it will do 5600-5700 RPM max. I realized there was a problem just past the no wake zone by the ramp. I only nailed it once or twice and went right back to the trailer, it wasn't running longer than 10 minutes, and most of that was idling to and from the ramp.

I sent the Supercharger to Jerry and had it rebuilt in late April of last year because the ski had 90 hours on it and I wanted to make sure I could make it through the summer without issues and it was really close to the 100 hour rebuild anyway. I just pulled the charger and its intact, washers are still there. Before I pulled it I pulled the hose and tried to spin the impeller, I could feel it move back and forth slightly and could hear the tink tink when it would stop against the flywheel. If I pushed really hard with my fingers after that I could force it a bit more but then it got tight. I could get it to move maybe an 8th of a full rotation but it took some force with my fingers.

I don't ride it hard often, occasionally I throw it around and it comes unhooked, could the charger really be slipping enough after 12 hours that I am only getting 5600 RPM? Should I be looking elsewhere like the pump and impeller instead of the charger? I don't have the tools to check the slip, would it be worth running the charger up to the dealer to have them check the slip?

Just kinda looking for advice on the best direction to go here. I have attached pics of the shaft on the charger in case you guys see something I missed.

Thanks for any advice you might be able to give, and this is an amazing site!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charger.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	237055   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charger2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	237056  

Everthing louder than everything else! sHALlow's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ajGTXSC View Post
    I have an 06 GTX SC with 102 hours on the clock. Just got back from the first trip to the lake this season and its running fine but with it pinned it will do 5600-5700 RPM max. I realized there was a problem just past the no wake zone by the ramp. I only nailed it once or twice and went right back to the trailer, it wasn't running longer than 10 minutes, and most of that was idling to and from the ramp.

I sent the Supercharger to Jerry and had it rebuilt in late April of last year because the ski had 90 hours on it and I wanted to make sure I could make it through the summer without issues and it was really close to the 100 hour rebuild anyway. I just pulled the charger and its intact, washers are still there. Before I pulled it I pulled the hose and tried to spin the impeller, I could feel it move back and forth slightly and could hear the tink tink when it would stop against the flywheel. If I pushed really hard with my fingers after that I could force it a bit more but then it got tight. I could get it to move maybe an 8th of a full rotation but it took some force with my fingers.

I don't ride it hard often, occasionally I throw it around and it comes unhooked, could the charger really be slipping enough after 12 hours that I am only getting 5600 RPM? Should I be looking elsewhere like the pump and impeller instead of the charger? I don't have the tools to check the slip, would it be worth running the charger up to the dealer to have them check the slip?

Just kinda looking for advice on the best direction to go here. I have attached pics of the shaft on the charger in case you guys see something I missed.

Thanks for any advice you might be able to give, and this is an amazing site!
    doubt its the SC, Jerry prob set it up 9.5-10ftlbs and if your turn hard enough you can acheive what u did with your fingers. you need fresh plugs and fuel, check all hose connections from SC to Throttle body- its probably a boost leak somewhere.

+1
    Didnt have the learners key :P

A smart admits!A wicked excuses!An idiot insists! mitsakosgt's Avatar
    +1
    What air filter you use?If you are stock check the airbox!Sometimes the baffles on the airbox get off of their position and block the intake hose.I had the same problem in many skis that year!

Haha . No, its not the learning key, thats been in the junk drawer beside the fridge since I bought the ski in 06. Unless the computer has totally flipped out and thinking the real key is the learning key.

I drained the fuel last night and I am going to pick up new plugs after work. Should I just get those from the dealer, or is there a better plug available somewhere else? I will make sure the hose from the charger to throttle body is tight when I put the charger back on.

The ski is totally stock other than OPAS Blockoff's. Where exactly is the Airbox? I see the intake is routed from the charger around the side of the engine, is the Airbox up in the front?

On a side note, I called the dealer just to see how much they would charge to check the slip on the charger and explained what was going on, the tech told me the charger has nothing to do with RPM's, it just helps you get to top RPM faster.... I don't think I will ever let them touch my ski at this point.

Thanks for the help guys...

Everthing louder than everything else! sHALlow's Avatar
    +1
    Haha . No, its not the learning key, thats been in the junk drawer beside the fridge since I bought the ski in 06. Unless the computer has totally flipped out and thinking the real key is the learning key.

I drained the fuel last night and I am going to pick up new plugs after work. Should I just get those from the dealer, or is there a better plug available somewhere else? I will make sure the hose from the charger to throttle body is tight when I put the charger back on.

The ski is totally stock other than OPAS Blockoff's. Where exactly is the Airbox? I see the intake is routed from the charger around the side of the engine, is the Airbox up in the front?

On a side note, I called the dealer just to see how much they would charge to check the slip on the charger and explained what was going on, the tech told me the charger has nothing to do with RPM's, it just helps you get to top RPM faster.... I don't think I will ever let them touch my ski at this point.

dealer stock ngk plugs are fine for your ski. get some extra's as well. good to have on hand.
    the airbox, i think for your ski, is up forward underneath the steering compartment. its a big black plastic box, just follow from the SC up forward. JIC these don't fix your problem, you may be having a fuel problem, like a dirty/malfunctioning injector, or fuel pump. check back in with results.

+1

LMAO! Typical uneducated overpaid dealer
    sounds like a boost leak though...

I haven't had a chance to put everything back together yet, its been cold and rainy the past several days here in the Dallas area. I did pick up plugs and a wear ring from the stealership. I got the wear ring in, but I want to get fresh gas in it and run it on the hose for a few minutes to get the old fuel out of the rail before I change the plugs. I used a vice, 2 blocks of wood, and a FT LB torque wrench to check the slip on the charger, it seems to be slipping right around 9 or 10ft lbs. I know this isn't the best or most accurate way to check it but at least I know for sure its not the charger now.

I found the AirBox but I am hoping thats not the problem, its strapped to the tank and looks like it would be a PITA to get out.

If im still having issues once I get it back together, I will probably try new injectors and coils, and check the AirBox I guess.

Hopefully I will be able to get it back together and out on the water in the next few days. I will report back with results.

Thanks again for all the help!

+1
    I don't believe it is your injectors and or your coils. It sounds more like what others have previously suggested; a boost leak. Be sure to check the hoses from the SC to the TB. Sometimes it gets put on backwards and or doesn't seal properly. Is the ski cavitating horribly?

I agree, its most likely a boost leak or fuel issue, thats why I mentioned coils and injectors. I have the charger off anyway so when I go back on with it I will make sure its tight. What gets me is, it was running fine last September when I put it up and I have not touched the SC or SC hoses since then. Thats why I was thinking fuel.

I am probably over thinking this, I just need to get it back together and out on the lake to see if the new gas, plugs, wear ring, and making sure the SC to TB hose is tight fixes the issue.

Its not cavitating horribly that I can tell, that wouldn't make the RPM's lower though would it? I thought you knew you were cavitating when you bounced off the rev limiter at takeoff while setting still.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information