Should I install a primer bulb in my '99 Yamaha XL1200?

I have a '99 XL1200 that is a bear to start. I have read a bit about installing a primer bulb and that it should be installed on the return line. Is this right? Will this eliminate the need to choke it? Will this make all the difference during a cold start?

I wanna go FAAAAASTer!!
    +1
    If its hard to start then, yes a primer will fix that. All instructions are included for the kit so it should be fairly easy to install.

Well I bought a primer bulb at Walmart a couple weeks ago, just haven't put it in yet. It didn't come with any instructions, but it's simple enough - cut the line install the bulb...

+1
    it is "my opinion" that a hard to start ski, is typically a machine that is in need of some service. i would bet your XL has never had the carbs or fuel pumps rebuilt. over time the diaphragms get weak, etc.

a "primer kit" for a PWC is really originally meant to be a performance item. you remove the choke plates, and shafts to inprove air flow in your carb venturi's. by doing this, you then need a primer to start. the primer kit has a primer plunger, hose, and fittings to retrofit your carbs, to squirt fuel directly into the carb throat, with a pump of the primer. people tend to use this as a "band aid" for a poorly tuned machine.

the "primer bulb" you have purchased is really meant for regular out board boat motors, and will do nothing more than pressurize your fuel line / system. i do not think this is a good idea, or will help in your situation.

IMO you really should rebuild your carbs. be sure to use ONLY genuine mikuni brand parts. replace the needle and seats, etc. i would be willing to bet, if you do this properly, your ski will start right up, very easily.
    Last edited by john zigler; 04-29-2011 at 08:32 AM. Reason: spelling

+1
    Not to contradict John but my '98 xl1200 was always a bear to start. Had to drop fuel into cylinder to start many times. Rebuilt my carbs, with genuine Mikuni kits, and installed primer kit. My carbs were so clean once I got into them I was upset thinking I wasted my time rebuilding them. Anyway, once the primer lines were full of fuel she fired up loud and strong on the first try. Granted, this is my first experience with primer kits but I am a big fan.

Thank you both for the info and John you are right that my carbs do need to be rebuilt and I plan on having that done very soon - but I have read many articles that say that the XL1200 Limited is and always has been a very hard starter, even when new. Once it has ran it starts ok, but that initial start of the day is almost always difficult. So toyterrific, how and where did install the primer bulb?

I have a xl1200 that has carbs built by oside bill and a new motor. It's still hard to start at first. I bought a primer kit and did not install as of this posting. If you pump the throttle a few time and pull the choke it will crank. I dont want to put it on because of the labor involved and the fact that the primer needs to be replaced every year. I will probly just put up with the hard to start problem. Bill calls them battery savers. Have fun and ride fast.

+1
    i have 2 or 3 XL1200's i reguarly see in my shop here for tune up's, winterizing, etc. also have a couple of dual engine yamaha jet boats, with the same motor's, i reguarly mainain. i never notice any of these being hard starters.

maybe try starting out of the water, first before you launch.

My 1200 was always hard to start even after carbs were rebuilt, new fuel filter and new plugs. After I installed a Riva primer kit it starts easily. You need a primer kit not a bulb. The kit takes a little time to figure out how to use. I start pumping the plunger and when I feel it get firmer I know the fuel is going thru it I hit the starter button. A few pumps while pushing the starter button and it fires right up. Here is a link to the primer kit.
    http://www.rivayamaha.com/RivaStore/...=Primer%20Kits

It has a separate line going to each carb. You have to remove the choke knob and mount it in its place.

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

Better price here:
    http://www.parkeryamaha.com/primerkitforpwc.aspx
    Install instructions:
    http://www.parkeryamaha.com/pwcprimerinstallation.aspx

+1
    Dan,

Installing a primer kit is not the same as installing a primer bulb. If you are mechanically inclined it's not that difficult, just time consuming. I did it myself over a number of days, maybe took 8-10 hours total. If you don't want to tackle it yourself get up with O'Side Bill about having him rebuild and install primer kit for you.
    Good luck whatever decide to do.

Thread Information