RXPX Gelcoat damage (pics included). HELP with options? Can I self-fix?

The pic should show it. Caused by the bunks of an inappropriatly set lift. It's through to the fiberglass, but it's smooth. I don't think any water has gotten in there yet. Stored in a heated garage, and only on the lift during sunny weekends.. otherwise in the garage.

What can I do?

-=Mike G.

+1
    thats an easy fix..http://www.spectrumcolor.com/ has matched gelcoat.

Everthing louder than everything else! sHALlow's Avatar
    +1
    or gelcoat.ca has a seadoo kit. had to do some repairs way worse than this last year. more elbow grease than anything. advice is the get it as close and smooth as possible before setting up - this will say you alot of sanding time. if you want a great shine you will need to buff it out with an electric buffer or a DA with a buffing pad.

OK.. sweet, thanks! So not too bad.

I'll attempt it. Doesn't have to be perfect. I'll make it perfect if I ever sell it though... I'm usually pretty anal about stuff like this.

Thanks again,

-=Mike G.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sHALlow View Post
    or gelcoat.ca has a seadoo kit. had to do some repairs way worse than this last year. more elbow grease than anything. advice is the get it as close and smooth as possible before setting up - this will say you alot of sanding time. if you want a great shine you will need to buff it out with an electric buffer or a DA with a buffing pad.
    +1, easy fix but does require a lot of wet sanding and buffing. Do as he said and apply as smooth as possible, let dry over night. I start out wet sanding with like a 400 grit paper, then 600, then 800, then 1000, 1500, 2000. Then use the buffet with a good polishing compound followed by a good wax. Prob take about 4 hrs to do to get it right. Most of those scuffs will come right out without too much work. It will kinda freak you out at first due to the dulling that the sanding produces but will polish back to its luster as you progress through the steps. I had the same thing happen when a buddy of mine didnt secure the ski properly and it drifted up to shore and banged around on some rocks, by the time we figured out what was happening it was to late. I took it straight to the trailer and bout shit when I saw the dammage. We were out of town on a camping trip so I found the closest auto parts store and purchased all the goodies to do the repair at the camp. Was lucky that time that the gelcoat wasnt too bad. First time my ole lady banged it up on the front trying to pick up a friend at the boat ramp near some rocks, had to fo some gelcoat repairs. I was worried the first time but turned out perfect.

OK. Well, I've always wanted to try wet sanding, so here we go. I can do motor swaps, turbo kits, rebuilds, etc... but house type work and body work scares the crap outta me.

Do you thing the 2oz repair gelcoat repair kit is enough, or do I need to buy 2 of them? I was planning on repairing just where it's down to the fiberglass, but maybe I should do the small scratches too? (just the ones that I can catch with a finger nail)

-=Mike G.

Everthing louder than everything else! sHALlow's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey G. View Post
    OK. Well, I've always wanted to try wet sanding, so here we go. I can do motor swaps, turbo kits, rebuilds, etc... but house type work and body work scares the crap outta me.

Do you thing the 2oz repair gelcoat repair kit is enough, or do I need to buy 2 of them? I was planning on repairing just where it's down to the fiberglass, but maybe I should do the small scratches too? (just the ones that I can catch with a finger nail)
    -=Mike G.
    just 1 should be good, it goes a long way. i had more damage than yours and didnt use the whole thing.

Thread Information