Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

How many of you have blown head gaskets?

I was wondering how many of you have blown your head gaskets? what was your set up and how many lbs of boost where you running when it popped? reason I ask is, it seem everyone I search who has done anything bigger than an X charger pops their head gasket at some point. I have an ET137 wheel and spacer I wanted to run on my x charger and I don't wanna run it if I'm gonna spit a head gasket.

+1
    Not sure if it was my primary cause initially but when mine went the some of the stock head bolts were very loose. Before you put that stuff on verify your torque on all your bolts. Riva ecu and ET140r LE 15lbs boost when mine happened.

+1
    I have run a Et 137, ET 140 and rude 2 - never had a head sealing/head gasket issue in four seasons of use. I always used ARP head bolts torqued to 95 ft lbs and had the head decked before install with a new head gasket. Maybe I was just lucky...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoad View Post
    I have run a Et 137, ET 140 and rude 2 - never had a head sealing/head gasket issue in four seasons of use. I always used ARP head bolts torqued to 95 ft lbs and had the head decked before install with a new head gasket. Maybe I was just lucky...
    You did the proper things for prevention. I have since did the same thing.

+1
    My head gasket went at about 100 hours with the stock charger. It wasnt until i upgraded to the XX that it blew out much worse. It wasn't going to last much longer even in stock form though, it was progressively getting worse.
    I changed the head gasket and went with ARP studs. Shes running mint now
    Dont let the fear of blowing the head gasket hold you back from upgrading the charger. I've heard of 20psi boats with stock head gaskets and no problems.
    Changing the head gasket is not all that costly or difficult anyway.
    Mod away my friend, the few extra PSI really wont make that much difference to the life of your HG IMO.

+1
    okay I should state that I'm not looking to pull the head at all. not to upgrade the bolts and gasket or anything. just looking to bolt some go fast parts on and go. I may just run the x charger for awhile and bolt the et wheel on later in the summer.

+1
    Have to pay to play. The more stress on the motor, the less it's going to last. I think you should be fine running the ET wheel. Eventually your head gasket will blow unless you are really lucky. When it does, go with the proper hardware like the arp headbokts and you shouldn't have any problems.

+1
    Most headgasket issues are caused from eccesive heat from looong wot runs and running lean or because they were not installed properly oorrr using different brand gaskets. Either way heat is the biggest enemy and you must make sure you arent running lean. I had 190+ hrs on my stock head gasket before I pulled the head to upgrade the valves. 90 hrs of that were running an ET race charger on stock ecu. I would not worry abou it. just make sure it is tuned properly.

+1
    I have Never blown gasket running 15+ boost with OEM bolts and gasket.

I agree with speedskixp on why gaskets blow.
    Monitor your vitals closely.
    Just because you might be running high 11's to low 12's on afr your heat could still be above 1600 degrees at longer wot runs with high boost.

+1
    Personally I blame the closed loop cooling system in it's stock form. IMO it has issues with higher rpm and boost and leads to excessive heat. I think an aftermarket thermo and heat exchanger work better than stock followed by open loop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information