Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recommendations on towing goods behind houseboat?

going to Powell in a few weeks, and need some input on the best way to tow the ski boat and 3 jetskis behind the houseboat. Ive seen all sorts of configurations, but havent had any real experience doing it on my own.. right now, Im thinking of towing the boat on the right side with a 100' line, and the towing the three jet skis in tandem on the left side, first ski about 25' out, and then 25' in between the other 2. Any input or experience is greatly appreciated!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I have not used one, but have a look at www.towdster.com

What you may be able to do is use multiple sections to keep the skis from getting tangled with the boat. A problem when towing multiples is that if you need to stop or maneuver the rope slack can become a big problem. With a 'stiff' length like the towdster you can arrange them to have better control than just using rope.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by firestoned View Post
    going to Powell in a few weeks,
    Damn you! Im jealous. I used to live there in Page, AZ. Havent been back in like 16 years. I miss it

Bump for more info and results. Going to Powell in 2 weeks and we are taking 2 boats and I'm trying to wrap my head around how to tow without boats banging into each other, etc. Towdster looks cool.. hmm... OP, how was it? EDIT: Damn the Towdster is expensive!

Leaving THIS SUNDAY!! All the damn rain has the water temps colder than heck right now, but Im sure we will be manage I'd be happy to post results upon return

Ive decided on just doing a 100' line off the right for the boat, I got 5/8" poly braided hose from Home Depot for .58/ft. and then just doing the skis in tandem with 20' leads

Do a quick search on clamping one of the hoses shut when towing. I wanna say it's the hose that connects to the int manifold,the hose with the red fitting. I think this is it.....

thanks, ya.. Ive put shut-off valves in both skis

Quote Originally Posted by subarupartsdude View Post
    Do a quick search on clamping one of the hoses shut when towing. I wanna say it's the hose that connects to the int manifold,the hose with the red fitting. I think this is it.....
    Nice LGT - is it yours? I've got a highly modified E85-burning LGT myself. I'll hunt down that hose... looked briefly this a.m. before work and could not easily locate it.

I already have 5 Hull-Hugrs (PWC fenders) that also work well for my Speedster since the boat is so damn low (goes under some docks!). My concern is my boat contacting either the 2nd boat in tow and/or the houseboat. My boat will take all the damage if that happens.

So at night I guess I'll moor it alongside the houseboat... so I'll also need 2 mooring buoys.

What about steering?? Do I need to somehow lock the steering wheel in the straight-on position? I sure wouldn't think so since the wheel just controls the jet flow and position should have no impact on the boat when being pulled.

And what about towing? Single rope from bow eye of boat to cleat of houseboat? Or double for insurance?

Pick up 1/2 or 3/4 sch 40 PVC pipe. (Electrical dept) Run a rope though it and put some cheap carabiners on the end so you can just clip them on& off real fast. When you stop the boat they will just all stiffen up and push off to the side of the house boat. And if you want to go hi tech you can cut and put water noodles over the pipe to keep it from sinking when there not hooked up.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue61 View Post
    Pick up 1/2 or 3/4 sch 40 PVC pipe. (Electrical dept) Run a rope though it and put some cheap carabiners on the end so you can just clip them on& off real fast. When you stop the boat they will just all stiffen up and push off to the side of the house boat. And if you want to go hi tech you can cut and put water noodles over the pipe to keep it from sinking when there not hooked up.
    This is exactly what I was thinking with the PVC. Wrapping with water noodles is a great idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information