To much gas In carbs in 96 slt780.

Hey guys and gals, I have a 96 slt780 which is a awesome ski with low hours. Ive replaced most of the fuel system but I have a problem. It starts up no problem but only revs to 3500rpm and tops out at 20mph. But when I turn the fuel selection valve to the "off" position it runs like a bat out of hell and reaches about 50 then about 10 seconds it dies out. I understand turning the valve to the off position cuts the fuel goin to the carbs but why does it run normal when its turned off for those 10 secs? Is there to much fuel goin into the engine and causing it to flood out? Oh and does anybody have a diagram off the carbs where I can adjust the low and high speed screws? Ive raped the search button and cant find one. Anyways thanks alot!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Have you looked in the Tech and FAQ sections?
    And my signature links?

It does sound like the carburetors are feeding too much fuel.

What have you done to the fuel system? Carburetors internally cleaned and rebuilt? New genuine Mikuni rebuild parts?

What did you set the carb adjustment screws to?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Have you looked in the Tech and FAQ sections?
    And my signature links?

It does sound like the carburetors are feeding too much fuel.

What have you done to the fuel system? Carburetors internally cleaned and rebuilt? New genuine Mikuni rebuild parts?

What did you set the carb adjustment screws to?
    Yes Ive rebuilt and cleaned the carbs. Yes Ive studied all off your links haha! Fresh gas and new lines. It was running fine when I took it out last. I havent messed with the screws yet.

Oh and I also have a weird mystery wire that looks like it was ripped off from somewhere and I dont know where it goes. It comes out of the electric box and it has a solid black wire and a orange wire with a black stripe on it and that wire is running hot to.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by skybox View Post
    Yes Ive rebuilt and cleaned the carbs. ... I haven't messed with the screws yet.

... mystery wire ... comes out of the electric box and it has a solid black wire and a orange wire with a black stripe on it and that wire is running hot to.
    How did you rebuild the carbs without removing the adjustment screws and cleaning inside there?

What turn settings are the screws currently at?

The Orange/Black and Black wires are for the bilge pump. Orange/Black should only be hot (12 volt power) when the engine is running, or the Bilge button is pressed down (if you have a Bilge button).

If Orange/Black is powered all the time then the LR voltage regulator module is probably bad.

Arent the adjustment screws on the outside of the carb? Either way Ive rebuilt the carbs and cleaned all the mini fliters inside. It was a couple months ago when I did this so Im not sure what I did. Its been running fine for the 2 months ive had it.So im not to worried about the screws it was doing a clean 50 mph so Im happy with it. I guess something is stuck open in the carbs and is flooding out the carbs.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk Skybox.

You need to remove the adj screws on the carbs to replace the O rings sealing them when doing a carb rebuild.

Do you have ALOT of fuel spitting out the tops of any carbs with the cover off when running?

Search for piston wash and take a peek at your piston tops. That'll tell you iff you're getting an overly rich condition.

Oh yea im getting ALOT of fuel pouring in the carbs at least three times the amount. Its happening in all 3 carbs to. But when I turn the fuel selector valve to the off position it runs normal for 10 secs then it cuts out.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I asked if fuel was spitting OUT of the carb or carbs. Usually an indicator of bad reeds.

How do you know you're getting 3 times the amount of fuel into the carbs? (just curious)

Your carbs can't flow more fuel than the jets will allow unless you have alot of fuel pressure pushing it. You didn't install an electric fuel pump or anything like that, right?

Maybe your needles are stuck open or have too low of a pop off pressure? (just guessing here)

What all did you replace when you rebuilt the carbs?

Thread Information