How much grease in the jet pump? (04 RXP 215)

Hey guys, my ski just went over 100 hrs and I wanted to check the grease in the jet pump to confirm that all the seals were still doing their job. The previous owner changed the impeller and had changed the impeller and I noticed the grease was pretty much all in the cone and not around the bearing. There was also different shades of green in it so I figured changing the grease along with the o-rings couldnt hurt.

My questions:

1.The grease in the pump was green. Can this be OEM or was it something the previous owner put in? I ask because the new BRP synthetic grease I bought was white.

2.I packed the bearing area pretty well and the single tube left me with just enough to fill the cone about 1/4. Is this suffiecient or should I get another tube and fill the rest of the cone?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

The OEM grease in the cone should be white, so I suppose the previous owner used a different grease. You should clean as much as you possibly can of the old grease out before putting the new seadoo goop in there. It's poor practice to mix greases since they often have different weights and viscosities and can work against each other.

I personally have switched to Royal Purple gear oil. Just turned the cone filled with it nose down and sat the pump on top to bolt it up. It's great oil and should free up a little spin by not giving as much drag as bearing grease. Just don't forget you have oil in it if you take it apart again lol.

+1
    mine was yellow from the factory. I switched to Amsoil syn, filed the cone between 2/3-3/4 full.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    The OEM grease is yellow, and will turn greenish over time.... that's normal. However.... if it's ever real dark or black, you've got a seal letting water in.

The old stuff has been cleaned out. I was considering using oil but decided against it since there was no fill plug.

Anyone know how much grease i should use though? Should the cone be packed fully also?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mohav View Post
    The old stuff has been cleaned out. I was considering using oil but decided against it since there was no fill plug.

Anyone know how much grease i should use though? Should the cone be packed fully also?
    yes, fill it up 100%. the problem with grease in the pump cone is it does not do a good job of getting to the bearings compared to using oil

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    yes, fill it up 100%. the problem with grease in the pump cone is it does not do a good job of getting to the bearings compared to using oil
    +1 Those bearings spinning all those thousands of RPMS the grease wont work its way into the bearings at ALL, when I replaced the bearings on mine the grease was still new stuck on the nose cone.

I wiped down my new bearings free of grease installed them along with the new seals and added synthetic gear oil. Better peace of mind cause of the continous lubrication, not like the grease squeezing out.

the older seadoos 90's they all used gear oil, and I never had to rebuild a pump due to bad bearings on them, my rxp just hit 100 hrs and I had to replace th bearings cause the impeller rubbed on my wear ring.

I did my older Jet skis by filling the hole in the nose cone with gear oil. How would you fill these ones with no hole? How often should you re pack the bearings and fill the nose cone?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by race24x View Post
    I did my older Jet skis by filling the hole in the nose cone with gear oil. How would you fill these ones with no hole? How often should you re pack the bearings and fill the nose cone?
    pop the cone off for maintenance? ... the first responder to your original post mentioned how to put the cone back on with the oil in it. Personally, I would check at least at the beginning and end of each riding season.

Thread Information