Help 2001 Virage 700 shuts off at high RPM. Starts right back up and same thing.

I have a 2001 Virage 700. At the end of last season I was going down the lake flat out and it died just like you hit the stop button. It would start right back up and as soon as you gave it throttle it shut off. The display does not shut off just the engine. Very quickly the battery died and I had to swim it back. I never took it back out and could never duplicate it on the trailer. Now today I got it out of storage and it fired right up but it dies at high RPM. Any Ideas? Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Need to figure out if the problem is electrical or fuel related.

For electrical, start with the CDI kill signal. Find the Black/Yellow wire in the electrical box that goes directly from the CDI module to the terminal board. Unplug that wire. Now the lanyard and Stop switch will NOT stop the engine. The only way to stop the engine is to apply full choke and starve the engine for air.

Now start the engine and see if it runs properly.

Note that on the trailer you want to limit run time to a maximum of two minutes with garden hose cooling connected. Without the hose cooling hooked up, max 20 seconds or so.

If you need to run longer, either remove the jet pump and drive shaft, or take it to the launch ramp and test it while backed down into the water, still strapped to the trailer.

IF the engine runs properly with Black/Yellow unplugged, next test is to bypass the LR-505 Start/Stop module. Reconnect Black/Yellow, and refer to my signature links for details on bypassing the LR-505 module.

Thanks for the quick response. I unplugged the yellow and black and now it runs like it should. Although it just hit me I should have plugged it back up to see if it runs fine too. My stop button does not stop it like you said but my lanyard does kill it if i pull it. I will try the module bypass this afternoon and see what happens. Thanks again. Anthony

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Need to figure out if the problem is electrical or fuel related.
    Or mechanical related.

A piston seizure will do the exact same thing.

Might want to take a good look at your cylinder bores.

If it was trying to seize wouldnt it have a hard time starting right back up? I mean you start it give it throttle and it shuts off, hit the starter and boom fires right back up.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Nope. Mine had a "cold seizure" and would shut off and fire right back up.

What would happen is the aluminum piston expands faster than the cast iron cylinder liner and seize inside.

Just that brief time it shut down would allow the piston to cool enough to shrink. Thus allowing it to start right back up.

+1
    Have you done anything to change the pistons, cylinders or engine cooling since the time when it ran properly?

Are you running in much colder water than previously?

If these things have not changed, then 'cold seize' condition would require the pistons to be running hotter than before, which I associate with a fuel/carb problem (lean combustion).

I plugged the black and yellow wire back up and it dies as soon as you rev it up. So with the black and yellow unhooked it runs like it should.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lubemaster View Post
    I plugged the black and yellow wire back up and it dies as soon as you rev it up. So with the black and yellow unhooked it runs like it should.
    Quote Originally Posted by K447
    ...IF the engine runs properly with Black/Yellow unplugged, next test is to bypass the LR-505 Start/Stop module. Reconnect Black/Yellow, and refer to my signature links for details on bypassing the LR-505 module.
    Bypassing the LR-505 Start/Stop module

K447, thanks for your help. I bypassed the module and it runs great.

Thread Information