Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Strange noise

Strange noise

I fired up my rxp today on the hose and its making a strange high pitch kind of a vibrating noise.It doesnt make the noise through the entire rpm range it kind of come and goes,any thoughts,its kinda got me a little nervous,its a 05 with 105 hours on it,just serviced it with oil and plugs,its got a 4 inch fizzle,riva catch can,14/19r prop,riva grate.By the way the catch can hose is a little kinked,not completely kinked but a little bit,it does have some old gas in it with stabilizer.I started it about a week ago with no issues havnt had it in the water yet.I did start it before turning on the water and it has never been on a hose longer than 5 minutes

Possibly your pump bearing failing. Mine caused a lot of rattling drivetrain noises on the trailor.

Any way to check it?It was the first time I have started it with the new prop.Did yours do it the entire rpm range or did it come and go,it sounds fine at idle and when it starts it seems you can rev through it and it stops

+1
    New prop? Did you check the clearance with the wear ring?

Yes no issues there,I installed a new oem wear ring prop didnt hit although it was close,could the prop be loose or maybe the nose cone?I really cant pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Well upon further inspection I can see some light score marks on the new wear ring,could this be the cause,is this normal?

+1
    I can't tell you if this is normal or even if it is harmful. I did have some scoring in my 03 GTX-SC after replacing the impeller and it did not seem to have any effect on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by wettank View Post
    Any way to check it?It was the first time I have started it with the new prop.Did yours do it the entire rpm range or did it come and go,it sounds fine at idle and when it starts it seems you can rev through it and it stops
    My pump bearing wasnt heard in the water but you could easily tell there was a progression in loudness (over a couple of weekends or so) when idling on the trailor. Yea mine was loud at idle and also under part throttle on trailor. Basically just a louder and more obnoxious version of what these things normally sound like on the trailor....easily noticeable.

But this is the first time starting after your prop and wear ring install?...so i'd lean mor towards checking back into that maybe. How tight did you get your prop when you installed it? Were you able to use the right tools (for good power leverage) to put it in?

And just how bad are these marks on your new wear ring? Shouldnt be any actual scars yet....maybe just a little kiss here or there but no scars if i remember correctly.
    And if its a high pitch noise I suppose it could be those marks you're seeing. May need a little more time on it before you actually figure it out 100%

Well iI didnt have a vice for the impeller tool but I thought I torqued it down pretty good,there not really scares or anything deep,Im gonna pull the pump back off and get some pictures of it and and use a vise to make sure its tight.Its fine at idle it starts making the noise at 3200 rpms and if I hit it it will go away but comes back at 3200.Im sure its not but could it be the Fizzle two piece supercharger adapter,could the two pieces not be mated up well causing air to suck between the two pieces,I will check anyway,I cant get it in the water yet to really see how it runs because everything is flooded.Hopefully its just something not tight enough,I m gonna take it all apart and report back.

Well I took the pump off and found about a inch wide groove thats not very deep in the wear ring,could this be it the wear ring is a oem ring that I bought from the green hulk store Should I run it ? Also on two of the blades you can see where its almost a little burnt there is some brown on it I guess from getting hot up against the wear ring,any help at all would be great guys

I went and bought a cheap vice from harbor freight and bolted it to a large loose sheet of plywood, then wedged the plywood against the side of the house - flat on the ground. Then used my 1/2in torque wrench with the prop tool in the vice. Kind of a ghetto set-up but i dont have a work bench in my rental house to bolt it to, haha.

You're using the OEM plastic ring?

Kind of weird you only have the noise only one spot in the rpm range, and that you cant tell if the noise is inside or outside of the ski. When my pump bearing was shot, you could tell it was a noise that was primarily outside of the hull.

At this point, pics of the new plastic wear ring could help rule that out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information