Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tips or Tricks for drilling thru hull?

Just got a great big box in the mail from GH and was just looking for some last minute tips or tricks from those of you who have done these mods. I am doing the Riva water box, opas block offs, riva wedge, and intercooler relocation. I have the PVC tool made for the vts. Purchased a couple cans of Right Stuff. Read Rivas instructions 3 times for each mod. The only thing I am a little questionable about is drilling the hole.

Last night we did my brothers thru hull and it didn't come out perfect the first try, like we anticipated. We had to elongate a couple holes just a little. I was hoping someone could share how they did it, specially how you drilled the bolt holes for Riva tip.

Thanks

+1
    Drill the bolt holes with the tip in position, one at a time and push each bolt in temporary as you go.
    Do not try to mark the bolt holes from the template and drill them. There is just not enough play to get them close enough. Tape everything up and drill slow so you don't scratch anything.

How did your tip to box outlet line up? Mine ended up a little low. Tip needs to come up 20mm to ne perfectly alligned with box. I triple checked the template and it's in the right spot.

Thanks. We actually haven't tried to connect the box to the tip yet on my brothers. His ski was kind of the guinea pig before I attempted mine. I think what may have thrown us off is the holes in the tip are bigger than the actual drill size. On the template the top edge is that actually supposed to be touching the top? After cutting the slip for the hook it was probably a good .25" from the bottom of the rub rail.

+1
    Na use the hook slip as your guide. Check you brothers box and tip alignment and use that reference to shift yours slightly if needed.

+1
    Even though the tips come with a rubber seal I added a lil right stuff around the outer edge and behind it..... just for peice of mind. Good luck.

MAKE SURE to start the hole saw in reverse to keep from cracking/chipping your gelcoat. You can change the drill back to forwards once you get through the gelcoat!

Thanks guys, definitely have to use reverse. My brother got impatient on one of the screw holes and chipped the gel. Luckily the tip flange covers it. We finally got his water box in and it seems we may have drilled the hole a little too much on an up angle, not exactly a straight shot when looking through the tip. may 3/16" to an 1/8" off, but the flange still sits nice and flush on the hull so not sure what's up with that. Hopefully I'll get mine done this week!

+1
    The first start up is going to put a big smile on your face.. trust me Also be prepared to get a lot of attention. I love just cruising around the lake watching people stare at me. Actually had some people take a video of me one time.. haha good stuff.

Good call on using phills as a test bench. But that's messed up too. Use the tip as a pattern, drill one at a time then put a bolt through it to hold it in place. Also put some tape over the area. Also start cutting with the bit in reverse so it won't grab and chip the gel coat

Quote Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
    Good call on using phills as a test bench. But that's messed up too. Use the tip as a pattern, drill one at a time then put a bolt through it to hold it in place. Also put some tape over the area. Also start cutting with the bit in reverse so it won't grab and chip the gel coat
    yeah I thought so, but he had his already apart so it was just convenient. What I think I am going to do is actually attach the backing plater to the tip, insert the tip and drill the holes with a smaller bit (to fit inside the threads). Problem is the holes in the tip are bigger than the actual bolt. Not sure if that's for all of them or just his (bought it used). I actually threw on the wet suit yesterday and went out for a quick spin man it felt good!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information