Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What to use to clean an engine bay?

What do you guys use to clean your skis mainly the engine bay? The main problem I am having is I have spray of fogging oil & 2 cycle oil inside the engine bay and some light spray on the hull. I tried simple green and pressure washing it at the car wash. I'm not sure if I can use engine cleaner, or another solvent with the styrofoam, plastic, fiber glass ect. So what can I use to clean the stickey oily mess?

Thanks,
    -=Rick

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    A search for Simple Green or Bleach should turn up some other good threads on hull interior cleaning.

HOT water helps with the pressure spraying, as does letting the Simple Green soak for a while.

+1
    I use purple power or castrol super clean(same stuff-different brands) it works great-doesnt hurt paint or gelcoat but dissolves grease and oil products-even cleans mold on seats better than anything ive used. I even use it in my parts washers-it will dissolve the carbon off parts without taking the paint of a cylinder or head. I spray down the outside of my skis before I wash them and it gets them nice n purdy-lol Works great for cleaning tires to

I use a motor degreaser wich is also biodegradable, i just spray it all over the engine bay, let it work for a few minutes and rinse with fresh water.

thie is the degreaser... just $3 or $4

Then i use some of this to lubricate and protect the rubber and terminals.

(sorry for my english, i know is not perfect :S)

I just use gunk engine cleaner and a little bush and it works great you spray it all over, scrub it with the brush then rinse down with water its that simple really.

+1
    I went to the local auto detail supplier here in town and bought a 'De-Greaser' that you spray in and on the interior parts of the ski. It is non-corrosive and will not harm the hull or any other parts. Costs about $3.00/gallon and I plugged the drains and tilted the ski all of the way down and let it soak in. Every few minutes I would raise and lower to mix it around. Then tilt the ski all of the way up and remove the drain plugs. Rinse with fresh water thoroughly to remove the film from the de-greaser. Works well and you will be amazed at the amount of stuff that comes out of the hull. Good luck with it....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    I went to the local auto detail supplier here in town and bought a 'De-Greaser' that you spray in and on the interior parts of the ski. It is non-corrosive and will not harm the hull or any other parts. Costs about $3.00/gallon and I plugged the drains and tilted the ski all of the way down and let it soak in. Every few minutes I would raise and lower to mix it around. Then tilt the ski all of the way up and remove the drain plugs. Rinse with fresh water thoroughly to remove the film from the de-greaser. Works well and you will be amazed at the amount of stuff that comes out of the hull. Good luck with it....
    I kind of did the same thing. I used a 50/50 Simple Green, water solution, hooked the ski to the truck and drove it around the neighborhood for awhile. Making some quick braking stops and some erratic turning to slosh the mix in the ski around. (Just make sure there is no one behind you or any cops around cause they may think you are drunk) . It worked very good and then afterwards sprayed the entire engine bay with some Fluid film.

Purple power,works great.

+1
    Simply Green and alot of papertowels.....then coating all metal and rubber with pure silicone(liquid wrench) this time...saw more rust using Yamashield than I'd liked....

+1
    Crc-656 people, buy it by the gallon and pour it in to a spray bottle and go nuts. It's a little $$$ but well worth it. It actually drives our moisture and dries in a waxy coating. Others like WD and silicone spray just displace water. Crc can also withstand the engine temps. http://crcindustries.com/auto/?s=06008

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information