+1

Trailer lights - turn signals not working on one side

Wasnt sure exactly where to post this, but here goes....

On my 2010 Shorelander trailer(single) the lights worked fine since Feburary. The last time i was out(a week ago) i noticed the lights going wacky.

When i turn the left signal on, the trailer lights flash with the signal. Truck lights are fine.

I turn on the right signal, and get nothing. Again, truck lights are fine.

Hit the brakes, and the trailer lights come on but VERY dim. Once again, the truck lights work fine.

I double checked the connection and its clean and dry. Its brand new! When it comes to wiring i am completely lost. Dont even know where to start. Or what to look at.

This is the kit i installed months ago and as i mentioned, never a problem until now.
    http://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Wiri...cleid=20077326

Been trying to call the dealer i got the trailer and 'runner from but havent been able to get ahold of him. Any help would be great!
    Thanks for your time

Click my Avatar for signature links, Polaris info
    +1
    I would think the place for this would be in the Towing and Trailers forum

Sounds like a grounding problem. Disconnect the trailer coupler so the trailer coupler/hitch is NOT touching the tow vehicle at all. Keep the trailer connector plugged in.

Now retest the problem. Test turn signal left, right, and stop lights. Also test left and right turn signals with brake pedal held down.

Now do these tests again with the headlights turned on. Report back what happens in each of the four cases.

Trailer light grounding: Trace the White wire back from the connector to the trailer. Often this white wire will be bolted directly to the trailer frame. Sometimes the white wire actually runs all the way to the actual lights. If connected to the trailer frame, make sure that connection is clean and tight, with no paint or corrosion separating the metal of the trailer from the metal of the wire end.

Next move to the lights themselves. Check the ground or white wire connection to each lamp. If that all looks good and your trailer lamps use old-school bulbs, check for corrosion, looseness or damage in the bulb socket.

BTW, if your trailer still uses bulbs, consider changing to fully sealed LED trailer lamps from a reputable company. Much more reliable long term.

The following diagrams and links may be helpful.

Trailering

Last edited by K447; 05-08-2011 at 09:48 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I would think the place for this would be in the Towing and Trailers forum

Sounds like a grounding problem. Disconnect the trailer coupler so the trailer coupler/hitch is NOT touching the tow vehicle at all. Keep the trailer connector plugged in.

Now retest the problem. Test turn signal left, right, and stop lights. Also test left and right turn signals with brake pedal held down.

Now do these tests again with the headlights turned on. Report back what happens in each of the four cases.

Trailer light grounding: Trace the White wire back from the connector to the trailer. Often this white wire will be bolted directly to the trailer frame. Sometimes the white wire actually runs all the way to the actual lights. If connected to the trailer frame, make sure that connection is clean and tight, with no paint or corrosion separating the metal of the trailer from the metal of the wire end.

Next move to the lights themselves. Check the ground or white wire connection to each lamp. If that all looks good and your trailer lamps use old-school bulbs, check for corrosion, looseness or damage in the bulb socket.

BTW, if your trailer still uses bulbs, consider changing to fully sealed LED trailer lamps from a reputable company. Much more reliable long term.

The following diagrams and links may be helpful.

Trailering

Ah crap! Didnt even see the trailer section... doh!! Sorry...

Anyways, thanks for the info! Easy to follow your directions, but too bad im at work now. Ill do it tonight and post back here and let ya know what i found out. If a MOD wants to move this thread go right ahead. Now that i know where the trailer section is >_<
    Last edited by K447; 05-08-2011 at 09:48 PM.

+1
    Ok, so here is an update.

The first thing i did when i got home was look at the bulbs. I wanted to make sure they were not bad, but didnt think they were cause they were both flashing. Just not correctly as previously stated. I pop the lense off one side and see water INSIDE the bulb itself! Hahaha!! WTF? This thing is made to go IN the water right? I pop off the other side and same thing! The lights are even coming on! With water IN THEM! Hahaa! Um... ok.

Whats up with Shorelander? The make a boat trailer that cant handle going into the water? Well,,,, the light on said trailer anyways. Pretty lame, but i got some new lights and i also checked the ground. I pulled it off and lightly grinded some of the paint away from where it makes contact to the trailer. So its all good now.

Thanks for the help K447. I was surprised i even got a response in this section of the forum.

lets race....
    +1
    Yup in my experience, its always the ground that causes the lights not to work. It happens to me probably 5 times a season but its no big deal.

Hey, you'd be surprised, a lot of people read this section
    Last edited by K447; 05-08-2011 at 09:49 PM.

Click my Avatar for signature links, Polaris info
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xrunner View Post
    ... water INSIDE the bulb itself! Hahaha!! WTF? This thing is made to go IN the water right? I pop off the other side and same thing! The lights are even coming on! With water IN THEM! Hahaa! Um... ok.

... got some new lights ...
    You have discovered one of the reasons for upgrading the LED lights.

Trailer lights often fail when the hot bulb gets dipped into the water at the launch ramp. Sudden change from hot to cold can crack the water seals.

That is why most (all?) boat trailer manufacturers recommend unplugging the trailer connector before launching, so the trailer brake lights are cold when they hit the water.

Changing to sealed LED lamps from a quality manufacturer just makes sense. No light bulbs to crack or burn out, no heat, no water issues.

Thread Information