06 to 08 supercharger shaft install question

Hi,
    Im installing the 08 shaft kit and had a few questions. First what is the machined grove in the shaft spacer between the bearings for and does it matter which way its installed? Next the instructions show an oil hole on the housing between the gear and o-rings but my housing doesnt have one. Any other tips or tricks that are not in the instructions I need to know? Thanks

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1
    only the 08- have the oil hole and as for the groove no idea and have always just put it the same as the old one was but cant see it doing anything. just be sure to put the shim washer between the 2 bearings when assembling it.

I'm just doing the same on a 03 gtx and the shaft is completely different and has 2 added friction washers, and a narrower lock washer, makes you wonder why sea doo changed from what they started with?? just seems to be adding more things to go wrong? mine doesn't have the oil hole either, but i think it gets enough straight up from the shaft, but could be wrong there, haven't been at this 4-tec thing very long.

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by benarm View Post
    I'm just doing the same on a 03 gtx and the shaft is completely different and has 2 added friction washers, and a narrower lock washer, makes you wonder why sea doo changed from what they started with?? just seems to be adding more things to go wrong? mine doesn't have the oil hole either, but i think it gets enough straight up from the shaft, but could be wrong there, haven't been at this 4-tec thing very long.

If you didnt have a washer type setup before and your updating it you MUST add the 3 washers between the s/c and the engine block when installing it back in the ski.

Different from what I read...

Quote Originally Posted by jasonze View Post
    If you didnt have a washer type setup before and your updating it you MUST add the 3 washers between the s/c and the engine block when installing it back in the ski.

My instructions say to only use the washers as spacers between the SC and engine,on model year 03 and 04 SCers which have baseplate (housing) model numbers of 867163. From what I understand after 2004, the SCer had a model number of 867 164.

+1
    The hole in the housing is for the X-Chargers for added lubrication...if your just rebuilding your Stock Scer you will be fine without it...As far as the groove in the thrust/lock washer?that is for the holding tool when tightening the lock nuts...you want the flat,un-grooved side facing the clutches and the grooved side facing the spring washers...as far as the 3 little washers..They are spacers for certain year,modle Scer housings..IF your housing does not fit that number you do not need to use them...

Quote Originally Posted by benarm View Post
    the early ones didn't have washers at all, ceramic came next then metal

Quote Originally Posted by VMDAMT View Post
    Hi,
    Im installing the 08 shaft kit and had a few questions. First what is the machined grove in the shaft spacer between the bearings for and does it matter which way its installed? Next the instructions show an oil hole on the housing between the gear and o-rings but my housing doesnt have one. Any other tips or tricks that are not in the instructions I need to know? Thanks
    I can only assume its an oil drip line, but as for which end, I'm not sure so I put it away from the gear end

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dandlwelder View Post
    My instructions say to only use the washers as spacers between the SC and engine,on model year 03 and 04 SCers which have baseplate (housing) model numbers of 867163. From what I understand after 2004, the SCer had a model number of 867 164.
    user "benarm" said he was doing an 03 so I mentioned the washers it wasnt aimed at the original poster or thread.

Thread Information