Air intake Question

I have pulled apart the air intake for a Seadoo GTI LE RFI (787 Motor i think). Have cleaned the filter and looking to modify this 'manifold' or i believe it is called the air intake silencer. My Question is, what can be done to 'improve' air intake and maximise power gains. The standard system looks very restrictive.

The standard system is restrictive but just keep in mind that if you roll your doo, that intake is built to keep the water out. If you are the only one riding it and never roll it, you'd probably be better off getting a set of Flame arrestor air filters to replace the entire box. If I am not mistaken, you will also have to rejet the carbs due to the increase in air to the carbs because of the FAs

so they are flame arrestors, cheers. Are they special built filters and a bracket, do they make much of an improvement in acceleration/top speed? Any idea on where i can buy one (website) also my ski is fuel injected so no carb. Cheers for the info.

Would modifying the exhaust make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by impulsive View Post
    so they are flame arrestors, cheers. Are they special built filters and a bracket, do they make much of an improvement in acceleration/top speed? Any idea on where i can buy one (website) also my ski is fuel injected so no carb. Cheers for the info.

Would modifying the exhaust make a difference?
    Pretty sure there is not much you can do with fuel injected skis. In order to add FA's to a carb ski it requires a rejet. You would have to reprogram the ecm in order to change air fuel ratios. I would leave it stock.

as in get it tuned? I assume the motor is like a car motor.. If the air filter on a car is changed it doesnt need to be reprogammed, do you think this would be the case with a jet ski motor? these rotax motors are used in go karts and drifters aswell. Im hoping that basic things like air, fuel and spark, once improved will improve the peformance of a jet ski.

What i would like to do is better air intake system, better exhaust system and improve the impellors + intake grate so it draws water through easier and faster

---------- Post added at 02:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 AM ----------

i am thinking about getting a custom polished stainless steel air intake silencer made up, removing the standard filter, replacing it with a pod filter of some sort.

bigger flowing exhaust to remove the gases more efficiently and bigger injectors + plugs

Quote Originally Posted by impulsive View Post
    as in get it tuned? I assume the motor is like a car motor.. If the air filter on a car is changed it doesnt need to be reprogammed, do you think this would be the case with a jet ski motor? these rotax motors are used in go karts and drifters aswell. Im hoping that basic things like air, fuel and spark, once improved will improve the peformance of a jet ski.

What i would like to do is better air intake system, better exhaust system and improve the impellors + intake grate so it draws water through easier and faster

---------- Post added at 02:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 AM ----------

i am thinking about getting a custom polished stainless steel air intake silencer made up, removing the standard filter, replacing it with a pod filter of some sort.

bigger flowing exhaust to remove the gases more efficiently and bigger injectors + plugs

Fuel injected Seadoos lack an O2 sensor which would enable them to sense lean or rich conditions then adjust the PWM (pulse width modulation) to the injectors like a car can. Kbarrette suggests FA's to you and it's seems by his post he is unaware you have fuel injection. Adding FA's leans the ski out because the computer can not sense that there is more air entering the engine. My opinion, at this point, is to leave the airbox alone. Just clean it and put it back on the way you found it. Everything else you have mentioned wanting to do will still require either the mpem to be reprogrammed or to purchase some kind of engine management system. None of it sounds cheap.

Excellent info, thankyou for the detailed response. I have done as you said, Cleaned and replaced.. the ski will be left alone, instead i will dedicate my time and money in maintaining and getting the ski running perfect. Thanks for the info

Thread Information