Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cold air intake thought

Has anyone ever routed hose from one of the factory OEM air inlets up under the cowl straight to the hole on the front of the air box? This could be done very easily. Only issue I see is that if the ski was to flip water might go straight into the airbox but I guess that could happen anyway??

Quote Originally Posted by K-Dubb View Post
    Has anyone ever routed hose from one of the factory OEM air inlets up under the cowl straight to the hole on the front of the air box? This could be done very easily. Only issue I see is that if the ski was to flip water might go straight into the airbox but I guess that could happen anyway??
    I've done it....actually made a air scoop on front of the ski and routed it to the carbs. It provided so much air thats its almost impossible to tune the carbs. My ski would bust up lean out in the midrange.

I would just route cold air to inside the hull and not directly to the carbs.

This is on gp1300r..no carbs.

This is on gp1300r..no carbs.
    Yes but even on EFI the fuel injection on a 1300 doesn't compensate for extra airflow. You would have manually add fuel with a fuel controller and even then I'm not if it will tune right.

If that is the case, then everyone who mods their airbox would need efi? As I understand the gp1300r are rich from the factory.

+1
    Name:  hose mod.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  6.8 KBName:  y fitting.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  2.1 KB

I have it set up with a gutted air box and the tubes from the cowlings are connected to a Y fitting...my throttle botties are custom 40mm Nemo velocity stacks..I now have the air from both sides of the ski going into one tube pointed right at BUT just below stack openings...yes the AFR is set on this EFI and it will process only so much air...but your creating a steady stream of quality cool crisp dense air that the engine will respond with...I'm hitting with an empty tank almost 74mph on a stock engine, turning a 14/22 at 7209 rpms...but it is an open system that water intrusion could be an issue...sort of works for me..

Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    Name:  hose mod.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  6.8 KBName:  y fitting.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  2.1 KB

I have it set up with a gutted air box and the tubes from the cowlings are connected to a Y fitting...my throttle botties are custom 40mm Nemo velocity stacks..I now have the air from both sides of the ski going into one tube pointed right at BUT just below stack openings...yes the AFR is set on this EFI and it will process only so much air...but your creating a steady stream of quality cool crisp dense air that the engine will respond with...I'm hitting with an empty tank almost 74mph on a stock engine, turning a 14/22 at 7209 rpms...but it is an open system that water intrusion could be an issue...sort of works for me..
    Kelly, RONN is correct, IMHO don`t attach any hose directly to the front of the box, just let the 2 hoses hang down directly alongside the fuel tank as we discussed earlier... There are gas fumes that lay in the bottom of the hull, having the hose hang down will not only let fresh air into the hull, it will also allow the fumes to be pulled in, or escape.
    This along with the seat air mod will give you plent of fresh air for circulation and intake...

jetdave! I would like to see the video or GPS of that 74 mph run... is this an average of a few runs or just a wind driven got lucky number... what pics do you have to back up a solid 74 mph with the way "your" ski is set up????? I call BS!

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    what pics do you have to back up a solid 74 mph with the way "your" ski is set up????? I call BS!
    Pale Rider returns

If that is the case, then everyone who mods their airbox would need efi? As I understand the gp1300r are rich from the factory.
    They are rich from the factory. Remember the test I did was an actual ram air on the front of the ski....forcing air in. I was looking for real gains. What your talking about may work because its just getting cold air to the air box.....but gains will be next to nothing over just just adding additional airflow.

Under full throttle the engine is sucking all the air out of the hull anyways. So we have always just cut a few more holes to allow more air in.

+1
    how about you test it yourself and report back?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information