Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Talk Me Out Of It..please

Hi folks, I think I'm about to make a bad decision. I'm a loyal seadoo guy and I love my 05 RXT stage 1 +. I have the boat dialed in just right and I am happy. I pride myself on keeping the machine nearly showroom perfect from a mechanical as well as a cosmetic standpoint. I may be a bit anal but even the smallest scratch pisses me off even though I beat the ski hard during riding season. During my post-season detail today I noticed that I had a number of spider web cracks in my gelcoat just below the vents under the rub rail. They appear to be surface cracks and are located in the same area on both sides of the machine. I dont see any fiberglass mat but I can feel them with my fingertips.This is not the first time I've had them and I'm a little bent...I called my local KAWI dealer and put my name on the list for a delivery position of the new 250X.

So boys and girls here is the question... Do I just consider these cracks a purely cosmetic issue and pretend they are not there or am I being overly loyal to my RXT and disregarding a defect that will further worsen and lead to big repairs in the near future? In other words, should I sell the boat now while the trade in value is high and cut my losses or keep it with the expectation that this cracking is normal and will not progress. I REALLY dont want to buy the KAWI but I just don't know. I have to make an expensive decision soon and your help would be most appreciated.. 3000+ for the KAWI swap out of pocket or $3000 to play with for upgrades on the RXT........ HELP

WIKI

Dude post some pics, let`s have a look! I`d have to go for the new Kawi tho ...after what I just read about our hulls, just another thing on the list of disappointments ...just my 2 cents...PR...

+1
    Cosmetic!

I have minor spider cracks in my black gelcoat as do many others. So far i havent had an issue. Knock on wood!

+1

Talking

I`d ram the phucer into the dock,,,you`ll feel better,,spider cracks won`t bother you then. Ask this guy who I met from this site Chasing the Sun,,,I don`t really think he likes me. Has the chrome naked lady stickers on his chit,,,the gold Cobra hood ornament was there,,till he finally rode waves,,,now he can ride! If it looks showroom,,,you shouldn`t own it. Chasing the Sun,,,come back to the shop,,I may even burn one with ya,,thwe guys will and always do. But after that,,midnight rides happen,,and it ain`t safe!

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    it's idiotic and ludacris to say it's "normal"... but it's normal on the 3-seaters when you ride them HARD. i'm the same way. i clean every part in the engine comparment by hand and wax it after almost every use, i was pretty bummed when i got them on my RXT... same spot. it's characteristic of that hull in that spot if you ride hard in the rough stuff. I beat up the hull pretty good when i'm offshore gettin on the throttle slamming across rollers and waves at top speed.

it wont get worse and it's not going to be anything further catastrophic in that area. BUT, get under the hull with a flourescent light and see if you can trace any of the stress cracks further towards the keel where surface tension is a bit higher

+1

Talking

Shibby,,,you dropped the other night. Didn`t you,,,I know,,,ac isn`t meant for man,,Beeen there done that,,,flourscent lights under you jetski? Stop bro......hint,,,,if its brown paper,,,don`t take it. If its Bud Light,,your alright.

+1
    It's the beginning of trouble... you've gotta pull the motor and fuel tank to fix it right. It's not real expensive to fix if you can do it yourself...$100.00

+1

Talking

hell,,,I got black lights,,,lemme dig `em out the attic,,,might have paper in`em. That would be cool,,,,,the wife will help me,,I think

All right hoss,
    Shibby, thanks for the coherent reply, I would appreciate a further reply on the specifics of this defect and some more assurance that this problem will not get any worse than it is ie; the hulls water integity will not be compramised. Hulk, I love you man, but not in a brokeback mountain kind of way; your asessment of my issue and a bit of follow up info would go a long way to stopping me from making the KAWI purchase ie; what are the signs that the hull has degraded from cosmetic to pull it out of the water and reglass/re-gelcoat the affected sections. ......AND HOSS.... are you sure we were'nt separated at birth? When I read your replys, I took it upon myself to go down to the cellar and break out the jug that says XXX on the side and was sent to me by a long lost cousin living deep in the appalacian woods of west virginia. I pulled the dusty cork and after a short prayer to my maker, took a LONG SIP. All was well, at least for the first few minutes and then I threw up in my sweatpants as I did not have a towel handy and could not make it to the sink. I suppose that the first one is the toughest one and I am well on my way to the bottom of the jug. Only problem is my vision is a little off; cousin cletus said that sometimes happens and I should just drink my way through it. DAMN, I hope I'm not gonna go blind.
    Please folks, give me some definitive answers before I write the check or finish this jugggggggggggggggggggggggg........................ .............

+1
    Is the ski still under warranty? you might try that route first. I had spider crack in my old waveblaster 2 and they never propogated. I jumped that ski in the surf all the time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information