Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

What am I missing...leaking intercooler

Rode Stuart yesterday with Jason, (psycho rxp)...rode through some nasty chop to get to the Saint Lucie River.. Boat never really felt right, rpm's were consistent on the top once we reached flat water, but felt like it lost low end. Thought maybe the charger was starting to slip, since pretty much the last few rides were fairly choppy and was pretty hard on the boat.

Anyways, we were in pretty much glass water and I nailed it, motor broke up real bad and was shaking. I pulled the boat on the river bank and we flipped it checking for something around the driveshaft or in the pump (maybe a midget or a yamalog )

And nothing.... We tinkered around for a minute finally pulling the discharge tube on the cooler, backed it in the water and fired it. It was spitting out an alarming amount of water... Figured the cooler swelled ect, ect. Rode miles and miles back to the ramp with no charger. Sucked trying to get through the rolling chop with no damn charger, boat couldn't get out of it's own way..

Here's my issue...I rigged the cooler up to the hose with a gauge. At 30 psi the fkn thing swelled on both ends...I heard the damn thing pop.. I left it @ 30 psi, and couldn't find any leaks. I've had it up to 65 PSI with no leaks...wtf?

I jammed a shopvac (discharge side) on the cooler inlet to simulate air flow and cranked the water pressure up to 65 PSI...no leaks, not one drop... Even now with the customized donut shaped ends it's not leaking. I really don't want to push it any harder as the ends of the cooler are now swelled and I don't want to completely ruin it, if in fact it is not the source of my problem.

I don't think it's the head gasket, I didn't loose any coolant, and what was in the boost tube was clear water. I have a rear air, but I did not get splashed when it started acting up , I was in glass water.

Maybe I lost the head gasket right then went it acted up bad and whatever was in the cooler was residual from my choppy earlier ride, but I doubt it...

Suggestions? Boat is CL BTW..

+1
    Not the head gasket for sure bro. Have an xs cooler u can try?
    Sounds typical for water injestion btw.

+1
    compression test the motor?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocman View Post
    Not the head gasket for sure bro. Have an xs cooler u can try?
    Sounds typical for water injestion btw.
    Definitely appreciate the offer, but running the Riva re-location kit. I don't think the XS will work with my set up. I might just sell the Riva set up and just buy a whole new Fizzle Kit with the XS. Just not sure yet. Just last week I cut plates and bent them to the same shape as the end of my x cooler for reinforcement. But have not had a chance to weld them up and now this so I dunno...

Quote Originally Posted by Slow 91 View Post
    compression test the motor?

Never crossed my mind, not even a drop of oil in the catch can after my long N/A ride to the ramp, just gas.. The motor was definitely mis-firing because of water ingestion. I will test it when I get home, The question is where the hell else could it have come in from..

Maybe I am doing something wrong as far as my shade tree intercooler leak test?

I'm running the 4" Kanaflex and run a lot of rough water. Had the same symtoms, water in my IC, sputtering when getting on it. Found a couple holes worn in the bottom of the Kanaflex which allowed water in. I did the same thing with the IC thinking that was my problem. Do a compression check. My motor is now on the bench getting a rebuild and I didn't take a lot of water in. The rear air will take in water if you run the rough stuff. Good luck bro

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WOT 88 View Post
    Definitely appreciate the offer, but running the Riva re-location kit. I don't think the XS will work with my set up. I might just sell the Riva set up and just buy a whole new Fizzle Kit with the XS. Just not sure yet. Just last week I cut plates and bent them to the same shape as the end of my x cooler for reinforcement. But have not had a chance to weld them up and now this so I dunno...

Never crossed my mind, not even a drop of oil in the catch can after my long N/A ride to the ramp, just gas.. The motor was definitely mis-firing because of water ingestion. I will test it when I get home, The question is where the hell else could it have come in from..

I sold my x cooler all hoses and brackets and went with xs cooler and sf bracket way back. Some of the best components.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WOT 88 View Post

Never crossed my mind, not even a drop of oil in the catch can after my long N/A ride to the ramp, just gas.. The motor was definitely mis-firing because of water ingestion. I will test it when I get home The question is where the hell else could it have come in from..

Bro, definitely sounds like the IC is leaking. Could possibly need to get hot to start leaking. If you had water shooting out of the IC exit tube there is no other possibility unless you sucked up a big gulp of water. The x coolers are prone to leaking. Just picked up a fizzle kit to replace one on a friends x-boat for the same reason. You can damn near sell the relocate kit to cover the cost of the fizzle kit.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    Bro, definitely sounds like the IC is leaking. Could possibly need to get hot to start leaking. If you had water shooting out of the IC exit tube there is no other possibility unless you sucked up a big gulp of water. The x coolers are prone to leaking. Just picked up a fizzle kit to replace one on a friends x-boat for the same reason. You can damn near sell the relocate kit to cover the cost of the fizzle kit.
    +1 the xs are tough as nails!

Quote Originally Posted by Ocman View Post
    +1 the xs are tough as nails!
    Yes thats true but if you are runing high boost and RPM's you will see 150deg intake air teperature in the summer with the Xs vs 100deg with the X cooler.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXP6 View Post
    Yes thats true but if you are runing high boost and RPM's you will see 150deg intake air teperature in the summer with the Xs vs 100deg with the X cooler.
    Lots of people make this claim but I have not seen empirical evidence to back it up. Reliability is more important imo. When someone can post entrance charge temps and exit charge temps of most coolers it will be of help.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information