Thread: 05 STX-900

05 STX-900

So I bought a 05 STX 900 with 90hours from a guy. Thing is in great condition, engine bay is as clean as a brand new ski. Runs great, my question is I'm sure to my sea doo, is it normal that I have to play with the throttle to get it started I'm guessing that just primes the gas? Is there a way to have it primed all the time rather then dealing with choking and stuff kind of like a 4-tech. Also It seems that sometimes my throttle will kind of get stuck? I'll let go and its still reving.

+1
    Well, you sure don't want the throttle sticking open! You may need to lube the cable. Take the flame arrestor of and inspect the linkage to make sure it's not binding.

Install a primer for easier starting. Your carbs are the CV model. Do NOT remove the chokes when installing a primer, or it will run excessively lean. I have drilled and tapped holes in the balancing tube between the reed cages and installed barbed fittings to attach the primer lines to.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Well, you sure don't want the throttle sticking open! You may need to lube the cable. Take the flame arrestor of and inspect the linkage to make sure it's not binding.

Install a primer for easier starting. Your carbs are the CV model. Do NOT remove the chokes when installing a primer, or it will run excessively lean. I have drilled and tapped holes in the balancing tube between the reed cages and installed barbed fittings to attach the primer lines to.
    Ok cool, don't suppose you can link to me primer kit and possibly a How-To or some pictures of what a installed kit looks like. I'm new to Skis so please excuse me.

+1
    Sure! Just not tonight. I'll take some pics of one of mine that has the engine out.

+1
    Here are the fittings you'll need:

The T fitting (1/4 x 1/8 x 1/4) goes in the Reserve fuel hose to supply the inlet of the primer pump. Make sure to secure the hoses with safety wire. Make sure you use metal fittings! The plastic ones that come in some kits can break and fill your 'Ski with gasoline!

This shows the pipe thread fitting installed in the intake manifold balance tube (center of photo) on a 750 engine.

On your engine, the tube is rubber with metal elbows. You can drill a hole in the elbow, thread it, blow out all the debris, and insert the fitting. Some people put the primer in the flame arrestor on the CV engines. I like the intake manifold because you can remove the flame arrestor and carbs without messing with the primer hoses. You can install one or two injection fittings, but you'll need another T fitting (1/8 x 1/8 x 1/8 ) if you use two. Even one fitting will dramatically improve starting.

You can buy primer kits on Ebay. If you do it this way, you can buy just the primer bodies without all the choke shaft fittings from Ebay seller epcot21. He has some of the brass fittings. You can also find them at Ace Hardware, or online at McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) Use 1/8" hose.

Thanks so much! I'll have to get on this! Picture didn't really help lol but everything else did lol.

Thread Information