Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Put Polaris PS-4 oil in the 2-stroke jet ski's, now what?

So they gave us PS-4 to put in the jet ski's and now I am reading that it should have been TC-W3 oil. Problem? Should I be worried?

Can we start adding the right oil now, or do we have to drain the old stuff out?

My apologies in advance if I've posted this in the wrong place or anything else I did wrong. I tried to find the answer on my own, but this forum seems better!

Click my Avatar for signature links, Polaris info
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk Susangail
    You are in the right place.

Your profile says you have Polaris 97 SLT 750 and 2003 Virage, so I presume you are asking about those models. The engines in both those models are 2-stroke (2-cycle) type.

Polaris PS-4 oil is meant for use with 4-stroke (4-cycle) engines only.

Are you saying you put Polaris brand PS-4 oil in your SLT and Virage oil tanks?

If that is what happened, then all the oil must be drained out and properly disposed of. 2-stroke engines will not survive if run with 4-stroke oil.

Have the engines been run since this PS-4 oil was added to the oil tanks?

If you have not yet added any PS-4 oil to the oil tanks in your 2-stroke machines, then return it to the store. Do NOT use any 4-stroke oil in your Polaris 2-stroke engines.

Polaris does make and sell high quality 2-stroke oils, as do a number of other brands. The correct Polaris oils will say 2-cycle on the label, and have names like VES Gold.

oh, yes, we did

Yes, hubby put the PS-4 plus, just like in your picture in both jet ski's. And yes we have taken them out twice. Once for about an hr and once for about 30min. (he thought he put gas in the older one but was reading the oil guage instead of the gas guage so we didn't run the older one on both days.
    We bought them both used, so I do no know what was originally in there, but I do know that he has added a few quarts to both, I'd like to say one to each and the bottle (#3 that I am looking at is 1/2 full) so it's at least 2 1/2 if not more.
    Thank you for your quick response, so I guess it's a trip to the shop for an oil change, I have read the posts about oil changes and if we cant get the right oil in, I don't think we need to "try this at home"

+1
    2-stroke engines are not like the 4-stroke engines in your car. There is no liquid oil inside the engine, just in the small external oil tank.

2-stroke engines slowly consume and burn the 2-stroke compatible oil you put in the tank. There is normally no such thing as an 'oil change' for a 2-stroke engine. You just add oil from time to time as you use the engine. Typically a full 'tank' of 2-stroke oil will last through several gas tanks worth of riding.

4-stroke oil is very different from 2-stroke oil. Running a 2-stroke engine on 4-stroke oil can cause increased wear of the internal engine parts, especially what are known as the piston rings and the cylinder walls. And possible contamination (fouling) of the spark plugs.

In your case it sounds like the service shop needs to not only drain and flush out all the 4-stroke oil (in the small oil hoses and oil pump as well as the tank) but also check the engine for mechanical wear/damage. At the very least this will involve a cylinder compression check. If the compression results are not 'good' then the shop may need to remove the top of the engine (cylinder heads) to visually check for signs of damage.

Please note that any information you find on here regarding oil changes is probably referring to the Polaris 2004 MSX 110 or MSX 150 models, which are the only Polaris PWC models that used a four-stroke engine. All other Polaris PWC use a 2-stroke engine, including your Virage and SLT.

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by susangail View Post
    ... was reading the oil gauge instead of the gas gauge so we didn't run the older one on both days.

We bought them both used...

... if we cant get the right oil in, I don't think we need to "try this at home"
    Do you have the owner's manual for each machine?

The best thing you can do for yourselves is spend the time reading and learning about how these machines need to be maintained, and what the common problems and upgrades are. They is a LOT of good information available around here. My signature link is a good place to get started.

The most expensive way to learn is to just ride them until something goes wrong, then deal with the damage.
    Last edited by K447; 05-04-2011 at 01:55 AM.

You're dealer likely won't do anything for you, as they did not poor the oil into your tank (Assuming they didnt visually verify what ski you have, then sell you the wrong oil). Ultimately as a user, its the owners responsibility to know and put in the correct oil. I'd still however, take them in, explain what happend, be nice about it and they'll surely do something.... What the something is, who knows.

If it were me, I'd drain all the oil and replace with 2stroke oil as mentioned above (Likely all your dealer will do). You should be fine with just doing this, as 4 stroke oil is just gonna make your ski run like crap IE.. fouling plugs. The 4 stroke oil, would of still protected from friction damage.

If dealer won't do anything, atleast ask them to change out the oil.

Race, wreck, repeat
    My 1940-50's British Seagull (2 stroke outboard motor) has it right in the owners manual to use straight 30 weight 4-stroke oil, if no 2-stroke oil is available. The fact that this has been done numerous times, over 60 years, and still runs just fine, tells me this oil concern is overrated.

On a similar note, my wife, in a bit of misunderstanding, poured a full quart of Havoline 10w40 into a gallon of gas, and powered the Weedeater all summer like that, while I was away. 4:1!

These aren't high-performance motors, but you didn't run it that way all season, either. You'll be fine.

Drain your tanks, fill with the proper oil, and go ride!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RedlineR6 View Post
    ... If dealer won't do anything, at least ask them to change out the oil.
    And check compression. Doesn't take long for the dealer's shop to do, and shouldn't cost much even if they insist on charging for the compression test.

Good compression means the engine is probably just fine. All three cylinders should have results within 5% between highest and lowest.

Now would be a good time to purchase and install a new set of spark plugs on each engine. Make sure the correct NGK part number is installed for each engine.

Quote Originally Posted by delagem View Post
    My 1940-50's British Seagull (2 stroke outboard motor) has it right in the owners manual to use straight 30 weight 4-stroke oil, if no 2-stroke oil is available. The fact that this has been done numerous times, over 60 years, and still runs just fine, tells me this oil concern is overrated.

On a similar note, my wife, in a bit of misunderstanding, poured a full quart of Havoline 10w40 into a gallon of gas, and powered the Weedeater all summer like that, while I was away. 4:1!

These aren't high-performance motors, but you didn't run it that way all season, either. You'll be fine.

Drain your tanks, fill with the proper oil, and go ride!
    Exactly. I ran into this problem (also two stroke oil in 4 strokes) quite often at the dealer. Never a problem in either.

What a great site!

Thanks for the comments about the oil. Just purchased 2 gallons of the PS-4 when I actually needed the VES Gold. I was only a weekend away from dumping this stuff into my jet ski. I appreciate you all for the help and tips and happy riding!!

(Now who would like to trade 2-cycle oil for the PS-4? UGH!)

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk Policeman

Where are you located, and what PWC do you have?

Can you return the PS-4 oil to the store? Even if they charge a restocking fee, might be the easy solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information