+1

Gas transportation.

Well looked around the site and didnt find what i was looking for.
    So how do you guys transport gas or store it?
    Seems stopping at a gas station seems logical but the one near me closed down so im down to 20-25L gas tanks.
    i also own a 50L gas tank with those flow 'n' go hand operated gas pumps.
    But it seems that my boat plus 3 sea-doos make pumping with it a work out.
    also i found an old (yet new looking) 227 L (60gal) aluminum diesel tank off a freighliner
    which ive been considering to use as a huge gas can.

what do you guys think? and how do you store fuel?

+1
    Semi tank will work. Put as large of a hose on the bottom bung on the tank and then put a couple PSI of air on top of it to make the fuel flow out the bottom under pressure. Put a ball valve on the end of the bottom hose (or close to the end of the bottom hose) to shut it off whenever you get the tank full.

Only issue is she will get heavy when full and will be difficult to move by hand.

+1
    doesnt seems like a problem for me tho, ill get all my gas cans together once in a while and drive the 30 some KMs to the nearest gas station i should have about 460L (120 galons) which SHOULD be enough for the summer.... Thanks for the idea 5001craig!
    but do you think it will be able to push the gas from the floor , all the way up to the gas tank on my C180(on trailler) which would be about 5 ft(im guessing)?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Control/maintain the air pressure applied to the metal tank and the fuel will flow uphill no problem. Just figure out how to maintain the air pressure at a moderate level as the fuel gets moved out of the tank. You may need to rig up a second 'air only tank' to supply additional air volume. An air pressure regulator should be able to maintain the air pressure as needed in the metal fuel tank.

Be careful about how you rig this all up. Think about static electricity, which can ignite fuel fumes if there is a spark between the fuel filler on your boat and the fuel hose/nozzle. Flowing fuel can create static electricity, so you may need to electrically 'bond' the boat to the fuel storage tank and the nozzle.

Also make sure there is no way fuel fumes can get into your air compressor intake or be ignited by sparks inside the compressor motor.

Keep in mind that modern gasoline does not store well for months. Especially if the fuel has ethanol. You may want to add fuel stabilizer (Marine Sta-Bil) to the storage tank when you first purchase the fuel.

Thread Information