Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What is wrong with my 2011 RXT-X? Blown SC??

Relative novice here and was hoping someone could diagnose what the potential problem is with my 2011 RXT-X.

Was riding this afternoon and had throttle pegged when all of the sudden it felt like someone put the brakes on. Engine did not die, but something broke loose and now when you apply throttle, it feels like i'm spinning out. Engine revs and I can plane off, but the rpm is way out of whack for the speed and acceleration is non-existent.

I don't think I sucked anything into the pump as I was in deep water and doing around 70mph. What could this be?

+1
    Trash in the pump..

Is that something I can check myself or will it need to go into the shop?

Yourself. Do a search and you will find lots of info on how to pull check/pull your pump.

+1
    You can check it. It does not take much a small stick or plastic cap look up into the water intake for anything.

+1
    Stripped impeller splines.

+1
    First things first... do a visual inspection: Get a flashlight, lay on your back and inspect the forward side of the prop for trash. Next, go around the back side and do the same for aft side of the prop.

If you don't see anything, it's possible you sucked some trash through and it gouged/nicked your wear ring and now you're cavitating. That's what's happening when you apply throttle and you don't get much forward movement (spinning out). Your bike may vibrate excessively, too, when your cav'ing.

It doesn't take much of a blemish to cause you a wear ring issue. If you don't find any obstruction or see the issue right away, then pull the pump.

Deep water may not matter: I once gouged a wear ring from trash in sixteen feet of clean water. The theory being that a small piece of gravel got lodged in somewhere during unloading at the ramp and finally shook loose 20 mile later... talk about ruin a ride.

Post your results.

+1
    lay under the ski and shine a light in the grate and look for a piece of stick lodged on the prop. poke it off with a longer stick.

Thanks for all the replies. It's hanging from a boat lift, so I won't be able to get under it tonight. I will report back. Thanks again for all the helpful info..

Got under the ski today and did not see any trash or debris. I also dropped it down off the lift and took it for a quick run before loading it on the trailer. There is a whistling sound and RPM tops out at 6100. Does this still sound like trash in the pump? I plan to take it in to the shop tomorrow.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information