+1

Franken-Ski Lives

So I've had this '94 SL750 at my house for over year that I acquired through a bunch of horse trading. All last year it was suppose to get the full treatment......well, you know how that goes. I piddled here and there painting the handlebar pad, painting the hood with clearcoat, and other stuff but I never got to the real problem.....a dead stator.

I bought a good stator off Thester last year but it sat in the box forever. I goofed around a little but couldn't get to the stator screws with the engine in the hull. Finally I pulled the engine a few weeks ago and got the new stator on. That turned out to be a good thing because the motor mounts were bad. Thanks to Xlint89 for hooking me up with some good replacements.

After getting the engine back in the hull, a bunch of cleaning, running fuel lines, connecting everything I couldn't wait any longer and went home for lunch today. I pulled the ski in the driveway and VROOM-A-VROOM-VROOM......IT LIVES. Member Ki5pm reworked the round MFD for me last year and it looked great even in bright sunlight.

The MFD is showing HOT when the display is activated, even without the ski running so I'm pretty sure I have a bad wire to track down. Considering everything else I've had to do that will be a peanut job. Most likely I have a break in one of the temp sensor wires or something bridging the tan connectors to ground that is causing that problem.

I have a few more cosmetic things to button up and this lump of coal will be a dirty diamond ready to sell. My plan all along has been to fix this up and sell it and I'll be pretty glad to have it gone.

KJ

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonmtz View Post
    The MFD is showing HOT when the display is activated, even without the ski running so I'm pretty sure I have a bad wire to track down.
    Geez, if I were any more of a knucklehead I'd have fingers growing out of my skull!

I couldn't remember if the overheat circuit was open by default and closed to ground when the sensor trips so I consulted the handy manual and sure enough, that's how she rolls. Okay, I have a wire shorting to ground but where

Probe the wires, the sensors......all good. Hmm, maybe a bare connection in the Ebox?

Tonight I crack open the Ebox and........ it kinda doesn't help when you PINCH THE STINKIN' BROWN WIRE FROM THE STATOR BETWEEN THE HALVES OF THE EBOX

Sure enough, when I put it together last night that wire slipped in there, I cranked down on the allen screws and it thinned out the wire insulation just enough to allow conductivity between the wire and the box. So, a little heat shrink tubing, tuck everything in nicely, button it up, and voila; the overheat warning is gone.

Just for grins I decided to check compression this evening since I had it running briefly today. I have a dead even 135 across all 3 holes This thing might be more of a gem than I realized.

KJ

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonmtz View Post
    S... ready to sell. My plan all along has been to fix this up and sell it and I'll be pretty glad to have it gone.

KJ
    Fuel system freshened and carbs rebuilt?

+1
    Yeah, I think Polaris messed up with the aluminum elec box. All should have been made of plastic like the 785. That would have saved alot of elec systems.

Try not to get the frank caught in the zipper next time KJ when closing up.

135 psi is good. With 750 port timing being geared towards accel, that should give a good punch out of the hole as long as the carbs are dialed in right.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Fuel system freshened and carbs rebuilt?
    Yep. I addressed all the usual suspects:
    1) Replaced pickup lines in the tank. The OEM hoses were crumbled and had turned to a pile of goo in the bottom of the tank.
    2) Ran new fuel line to everything
    3) Opened up carbs, cleaned everything, set pop-off right about 16PSI, set LS and HS screws to factory specs, new diaphragms
    4) Installed 3-outlet fuel pump (been sitting in a box since I bought it from Zigler a year ago)
    5) Disassembled and cleaned fuel selector valve
    6) Removed choke plates and installed primer
    7) New oil lines, opened bleeder screw to run oil down to the pump.

Right now I have BPR8ES plugs in the engine simply because I had an old set laying around. I knew the plugs would probably foul pretty quick because the engine had a ton of fogging oil in it and I also put pre-mix in the fuel tank to give the pump time to fill up the lines supply oil to the carbs. So, I figured I would first start it on these old plugs to burn out all the excess oil and then switch over to a fresh set of BPR7ES.

Tonight I need to work on the pump. The impeller has some pretty good nicks on it and stator veins are chipped. It looks like this thing sucked in a good sized rock at one time. I'm going to take a grinder and the dremel to these and clean up the edges.

The remaining items to complete are:
    ** Install HydroTurf (Thanks for that Kev)
    ** Reinstall Pump
    ** Spread faring compound on fiberglass patch (that's a whole different story)
    ** Rebuild trailer bearings (Whoa, those are really bad)
    ** Take her to the lake for a test!!!!**

KJ

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Try not to get the frank caught in the zipper next time KJ when closing up.

135 psi is good. With 750 port timing being geared towards accel, that should give a good punch out of the hole as long as the carbs are dialed in right.
    You'd think with all the times I've watched 'There's Something About Mary' that I'd be more careful about that kinda stuff

I'm sure I'll have to tweak the carbs a bit. I set everything a shade rich just to be on the safe side. I'll get some run time on it to make sure it's all set and dial it in a bit before I post it to sell. My guess is this thing will have some very nice pop and should be a real eye opener for anyone that takes it for a test ride.

I have a guy at work that wants to buy it, so hopefully all these details will have the ski performing in tip top shape.

KJ

+1
    Sounds good!!!!

But how did you get the BEANS over the frank????!!!!!!!

+1
    I don't know, just watch and you can figure this out?!?!!?

Thread Information